Sydney FC 0 def by Macarthur FC (Derbyshire 35’)
A ten man Sydney FC have gone down to Macarthur FC in a frustrating derby during which they created the game’s best chances.
Moments That Mattered:
- BARBAROUSES CHANCE – 14’ - Milos Ninkovic wins the ball in the opposing half and plays in Kosta Barbarouses, but the shot is parried by Federici.
- WOOD GOES CLEAR – 23’ – A reverse ball by Barbarouses plays Wood in behind and the youngster has lots of time but is unable to finish as Federici makes himself big and blocks the shot.
- RETRE OFF THE BAR – 32’ - A quick counter from Ninkovic plays in Retre who smashes it against the crossbar. Barbarouses was hauled to the ground with a square pass in the offing but the referee ignores the claims.
- MATT DERBYSHIRE GOAL – 35’ – A tap in goal for Derbyshire gifted by some quick footwork from Susaeta.
- RETRE RED CARD - 38’ – Retre’s challenge for a bouncing ball is deemed serious foul play by refere Alex King and he shows him a straight red.
- DERBYSHIRE HITS BAR – 47’ – A Derbyshire header cannons off the crossbar from a right wing corner.
- BARBAROUSES CHANCE – 52’ – Caceres evades his markers and plays in Barbarouses who forces another stunning Federici save
- BABAROUSES CHANCE – 63’ – Rhyan Grant brings down the ball and cuts into the back of the box but Kosta Barbarouses is unable to find the back of the net
Sydney FC have lost 1-0 at home to Macarthur FC, having been reduced to ten men in the first half when Paulo Retre was shown the red card.
The midfielder was sent for an early bath after his challenge on McGing was deemed to be serious enough by the referee for a red.
Nevertheless Sydney FC were unlucky to be defeated after creating most of the game’s best moments, including several big chances in the opening 30 minutes.
Retre came the closest smashing a shot against the cross bar, while Wood missed a one on one and Barbarouses had three excellent attempts.
It was Derbyshire who opened the scoring however with a close-range tap in after some quick footwork by Susaeta.
Sydney FC’s trouble got worse three minutes later with Retre’s red card and despite creating a number of chances with ten men in the second half, Macarthur were able to kill off the game and claim their first victory over Sydney FC.
What they said: Steve Corica : “It was frustrating in the sense that we didn’t take our chances, other than that I think we played excellent tonight.
“We created 6 or 7 clear cut chances and I think even in the second half when we had 10 men the boys never gave up and still believed they could get something out of the game, so good credit to them.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN (17. Anthony CACERES 46’), 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC (21. Harry Van der SAAG 88’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (9. BOBÔ 78’), 16. Joel KING, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 28. Calem NIEUWENHOF, 33. Patrick WOOD (27. Jordan SWIBEL 78’)
Subs: 20. Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN, 3. Benjamin WARLAND.
Yellow Cards: Corica 40’, Van der Saag 91’.
Red Cards: Paulo Retre 38’.
Macarthur FC: 1. Adam FEDERICI (gk), 2. Jake McGING, 3. Antony GOLEC, 4.Benat ETXEBARRIA, 5.Mark MILLIGAN (c), 6. Aleksander JOVANOVIC (15. Aleksander ŠUSNJAR 46’), 8.Denis GENREAU, 11.Thomas OAR (21. Jake HOLLMAN 92’), 27. Matthew DERBYSHIRE, 29. Antonis MARTIS (10. Loic PUYO 58’), 33. Markel SUSAETA (31. Lachlan ROSE 82’).
Subs: 16. Nicholas SUMAN (gk), 7. Ivan FRANJIC, 19. Michael RUHS.
Yellow Cards: Golec 24’, Martis 47’.
Red Cards: None.
Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.
Referee: Alex King