Sydney FC 1 (Wheeler 11’) def. by Brisbane Roar 4 (Yallop 8’, Rankin 15’, Polkinghorne 54’, Whyman OG’ 82’)
Sydney FC’s fantastic start to the season has taken a set back with the Sky Blues defeated 4-1 at home by second placed Brisbane Roar.
Moments That Mattered:
- IBINI GOES CLOSE - 4’ – Ibini gets free on the left and drives into the box before unleashing a powerful right foot shot which Aquino is down low to push around the corner.
- YALLOP GOAL – 8’ – Gienik receives the ball on the left wing and swings over a cross to Yallop who is free at the far post to head home.
- IBINI CHANCE – 10’ – A corner from the right is partially cleared as far as Hristodoulou who puts it back into the danger zone for Ibini to flick towards goal but it’s straight at the keeper when a touch either side would have gone in.
- WHEELER GOAL – 11’ – Wheeler charges down a back pass to Aquino as the keeper tries to clear and the ricochet flies in.
- RANKIN GOAL – 15’ – A cross from the Brisbane right is spilled by Whyman into the path of Rankin who side foots into the empty net.
- POLKINGHORNE GOAL – 54’ – Polkinghorne heads home a right wing corner.
- WHYMAN OWN GOAL – 82’ – Rankin’s cross is too hot to handle for Whyman who unfortunately sees the ball drop into her own goal.
Sydney FC’s unbeaten start to the Westfield W-League has ended with a 4-1 defeat to Brisbane Roar at Leichhardt Oval.
Roar took the lead early in the first half through a Tameka Yallop header before Clare Wheeler equalized for the Sky Blues after shutting down the Brisbane goalkeeper and benefitting from a ricochet.
Jamilla Rankin restored the Brisbane lead on 15 minutes, slotting home a loose ball in the penalty box.
Clare Polkinghorne put the result beyond doubt after the break with a header from a corner before Jamilla Rankin’s cross was bundled home with around ten minutes to go.
What they said: Ante Juric: “We came up against a good side. To be honest, from the team they have, they should probably be at the top of the table and they showed that today.
“We weren't at our best, maybe a little bit of arrogance popped in with six wins in a row, but they deserved it and were better than us today.
“Nothing changes you might remember when we lost 5-0 to Wanderers, I'm not fussed with it.
“This loss will do us good, especially with the age of the team, it's come at a good time. In saying that you want to win every game you play, but it's excellent for us in a lot of ways.
“They've [Brisbane] always been the benchmark. My girls are great but they're internationals and foreigners. Come finals we're still going to give it a good shake.”
Sydney FC: 1. Jada WHYMAN (GK), 2. Teresa POLIAS, Charlotte McLEAN, 5.Ally GREEN, 6.Clare WHEELER, 15.Mackenzie HAWKESBY (8. Rachel LOWE 56’), 10.Remy SIEMSEN (9. Allira TOBY 56’), 11.Cortnee VINE (18.Taylor RAY 74’), 12.Natalie TOBIN, 17.Angelique HRISTODOULOU, 20.Princess IBINI (19.Charlie RULE 64’).
Subs: 40. Eliza CAMPBELL (GK).
Yellow Cards: None
Red Cards: None.
Brisbane Roar: 21. Morgan AQUINO (GK), 4. Clare POLKINGHORNE, 6. Winonah HEATLEY, 7. Kim CARROLL, 8. Mariel HECHER (2. Kaitlyn TORPEY 86’), 13. Tameka YALLOP, 14. Leticia McKENNA (11. Sharn FREIER 79’), 15. Emily GIELNIK (22. Anna MARGRAF 86’), 16. Jamilla RANKIN, 23. Isobel DALTON, 25. Olivia CHANCE.
Subs: 28 Cassandra ZAFFINA (GK), 19. Rebekah HORSEY.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
Referee: Lara Lee.