Sydney FC’s Learn, Earn & Thrive project has come to an end after a successful nine months in which the Sky Blues and football community came together using the universal language and reach of the game to educate and integrate international students in NSW.
The project took a four-pronged approach providing….
- Work-integrated learning opportunities for students.
- Come and try football events.
- Upskilling opportunities to provide social support and income for students whilst studying.
- Education of students and employers for future employment opportunities.
In all there were a number of key items delivered across whole project including…
- Six student interns were engaged in workplace integrated learning from March to July 2021 where they designed, promoted and delivered a Social Development Day and a Coach Education workshop for international students at Macquarie University, University of Wollongong and University of New South Wales.
- Students engaged in these activities received Memberships from Sydney FC for Season 2020/21, and the Workplace Law factsheets (see below), as well as a range of prizes from club partners Under Armour.
- Future coaches were identified as part of the workshops and Sydney FC intends to engage them in future casual coaching opportunities.
- Sydney FC worked with law partner Workplace Law to help develop factsheets for international students about their rights in the workplace, and how to gain employment. It included a worksheet for employers about the benefits of hiring international students.
- Sydney FC worked with Study NSW to build out an online series for wellbeing at home during lockdown and delivered two sessions: Healthy Body (Thursday 2/9) and Health Mind (last Thursday). Workshops included Ally Green and Joel King, as well as SFC S&C coach Matthew Said and Beyond Blue Lead Clinician Dr Grant Blashki
- In total hundreds of international students have been engaged across the physical and online events in a trying year for international students studying in NSW.
Sydney FC has been proud to support Study NSW in the delivery of the program.