Highlights & Report: Sydney FC Third After Derby Domination
Sydney FC 3 (Huerta 40’, Foord 65’, 80’ pen) def. Western Sydney Wanderers 0
Sydney FC have recorded a second 3-0 win of the season over Western Sydney Wanderers in the Westfield W-League to move into third on the ladder approaching Finals time.
Moments That Mattered:
1. Great Save Bledsoe - 12’ – Uzunlar has a shot from distance which is brilliantly tipped onto the bar by Bledsoe and Kennedy is there soon after to head clear the danger.
2. Logarzo Chance – 35’ – Foord plays the ball through to McCaskill who leaves it believing she was in an offside position. That gives Logarzo a clear run on goal as the flag stays down, but her square ball back to Savannah goes just past the post.
3. Tobin Chance – 39’ – A ball across the box is scrambled out to Tobin who blasts it first time but Simonsen claims the well struck shot.
4. Huerta Goal – 40’ – Huerta receives the ball wide right, beats two Wanderers defenders and unleashes an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net from the tightest of angles.
5. Foord Goal – 65’ – Foord picks up the ball midway in the opposition half beats a Wanderers player before firing a thunderous shot high into the top corner.
6. Jarvie Sent Off – 79’ – Ibini uses her strength to beat a couple of Wanderers players to burst into the box where she is brought down by Jarvie. The defender is promptly shown her marching orders six minutes after coming on as a sub.
7. Foord goal penalty – 80’ – Foord scores the resultant penalty conceded by Jarvie, going to the left and sending the keeper the wrong way.
Sydney FC have secured their 12th win in 14 games against Western Sydney Wanderers in the Sydney Derby thanks to another brace from Caitlin Foord and a fabulous strike from US import Sofia Huerta.
Huerta opened the scoring in remarkable fashion cutting in from the right flank, beating two players and smashing a powerful strike inside the near post and into the roof of the net.
The Sky Blues went further ahead in the second half when Foord broke clear and hit a long distance shot past the outstretched palm of the Wanderers keeper.
With ten minutes remaining Foord secured the tie from the penalty spot after great work from Ibini who was brought down in the box by Jarvie; a tackle which saw the defender sent from the field for a professional foul.
Sydney FC head to Brisbane next weekend for a crucial tie in terms of the Westfield W-League Finals Series.
What They Said: Ante Juric
“We’ve got some young players out there tonight and had to change a few things around but I’m happy with the performance and the three points more than anything else.
“We’re in a position where we had to win so to play under pressure and get the win I think is a positive.
“Caitlin played well apart from the two goals so I’m glad she got on the scoresheet.”
Sydney FC: 1.Aubrey BLEDSOE (GK), 2.Teresa POLIAS ©, 4.Elizabeth RALSTON, 6.Chloe LOGARZO, 8.Amy HARRISON, 9.Caitlin FOORD, 10.Savannah McCASKILL (21. Julia VIGNES 60’), 14.Alanna KENNEDY, 18.Taylor RAY (12. Natalie TOBIN 18’), 20.Princess IBINI (3. Shadeene EVANS 82’), 22.Sofia HUERTA.
Subs Not Used: 30.Trudy BURKE (GK).
Yellow Cards: Polias 67'
Red Cards: None.
Western Sydney Wanderers: 30. Nicole SIMONSEN (GK), 4. Maruschka WALDUS, 6. Servet UZUNLAR, 7. Lo’eau LABONTA (5. Rachel LOWE 68’), 8. Erica HALLOWAY (20. Caitlin JARVIE 79’), 10. Kylie LEDBROOK, 11. Elizabeth ADDO, 13. Georgia YEOMAN-DALE, 14. Courtney NEVIN, 17. Sydney MIRAMONTEZ, 19. Leena KHAMIS (9. Remy SIEMSEN 75’).
Subs not used: 1. Jada WHYMAN (GK).
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: Jarvie 79'
Ground: Leichhardt Oval
Referee: Rebecca Durcau.