Sydney FC 7 (16’ Le Fondre, 38’, 74’ Ivanovic, 66’, 79’ Barbarouses, 82’ Swibel, 89’ Baumjohann) def. Far North Queensland Football Select XI 0
Sydney FC have put together a comprehensive pre-season performance against a Far North Queensland Select XI side at Barlow Park on Saturday night.
Goals to Adam Le Fondre, Jordi Swibel and an Alex Baumjohann chip added to braces from Luke Ivanovic and Kosta Barbarouses, as Head Coach Steve Corica’s side earned valuable minutes with the Hyundai A-League season kicking off in one month.
Moments That Mattered:
- Adam Le Fondre Hits The Post – 5’ – Adam Le Fondre rises highest to meet a lofted ball, however his glancing header smashes into the woodwork.
- Adam Le Fondre Goal – 16’ – A low free kick from Brandon O’Neill is cut across the box for the Englishman to sweep home into the bottom corner.
- Luke Ivanovic Goal – 38’ – A splitting through ball releases Ivanovic on the left, and the youngster takes one touch before curling across the keeper and in from the top of the box.
- Luke Ivanovic Goes Close – 49’ – Luke Ivanovic gets on the end of a delightful cross from Joel King, however his volley flies the wrong side of the near post.
- Kosta Barbarouses Goal – 66’ – Alex Baumjohann’s perfect ball through finds the Kiwi who taps home to increase the lead.
- Luke Ivanovic Goal – 74’ – Kosta Babarouses’ deflected shot flies into the youngster who steers it beyond a stranded goalkeeper.
- Kosta Barbarouses Goal – 79’ – A defensive mix up sees the FNQ defender head beyond his keeper, with Barbarouses running onto it for a simple finish.
- Jordi Swibel Goal – 82’ – Jordi Swibel bags his first goal for the senior side with a low finish inside the box.
- Alex Baumjohann Goal – 89’ – The German rounds out the scoring, chipping over the keeper following a scramble in the box.
The Sky Blues played out the clash in testing tropical conditions and dictated the play from the start.
Early chances fell the way of Adam Le Fondre and Luke Ivanovic, with Paulo Retre looking lively, however it was the front pair that did the damage in the first half, both converting to send the Sky Blues in with a comfortable lead at the break.
Changes at half time didn’t ease up the tempo of the game, with Kosta Barbarouses going close two minutes after the restart before finding the back of the net just beyond the hour mark.
Ivanovic and Barbarouses both bagged braces minutes later, as the Young Sky Blues were introduced for the final 10 minutes, with Jordi Swibel notching his first goal for the senior side with a calm finish inside the box.
Alex Baumjohann rounded out the scoring in the dying minutes with a delightful chip as the Sky Blues highlighted their Cairns camp with a resounding win.
What they said:
Head Coach Steve Corica: “I was pleased with the performance because we kept going even after one or two goals. The boys wanted to score more goals and that’s pleasing to see. It’s fantastic practice for us, teams play very compact against us and you have to find ways to break them down. We did that tonight and I’m very proud.
“A lot of the boys got good minutes, it’s always good they work extremely hard in the game. I was pleased with all aspects of the game, defensively I don’t think we even gave them a shot on target and we created a lot of chances. I’m happy with the seven goals.”
Kosta Barbarouses: “My role is to score goals and assist goals, and that’s job done today. I’m really happy with the effort we all put in.
“This is probably one of my first pre-seasons where I haven’t had any national team commitments to disrupt it. I feel like I’m getting closer to that full fitness and sharpness and now this last month is crucial.
“The game was played in really good spirits.”
Sydney FC: 1. Tristan PRENDERGAST (GK), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN, 4. Alex WILKINSON (46’ 6. Ryan MCGOWAN), 7. Michael ZULLO (46’ 16. Joel KING), 8. Paulo RETRE (64’ 28. Harry VAN DER SAAG), 9. Adam LE FONDRE (46’ 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES), 10. Milos NINKOVIC (46’ 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN), 13. Brandon O’NEILL (80’ 25. Calem NIEUWENHOF), 17. Anthony CACERES (72’ 24. Marco TILIO), 18. Luke IVANOVIC (72’ 27. Jordan SWIBEL), 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs Not Used: 20. Levi KAYE.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Barlow Park