Sydney FC 2 (Kennedy 35', Logarzo 71') drew w. Melbourne Victory 2 (Gielnik 68', Dowie 78')
Sydney FC has shored up third place on the Westfield W-League ladder, and kept their Finals Series qualification in their hands, after settling for a point in an end to end #BigBlue at Lakeside Stadium on Sunday.
Moments That Mattered:
- Foord Penalty Saved – 10’ – After Chloe Logarzo was brought down in the box, Caitlin Foord stepped up for the penalty only to see it parried to safety by Casey Dumont in goal.
- Logarzo Shoots Wide – 17’ – Chloe Logarzo fizzes an effort just wide after picking the ball up with time and space to shoot from distance.
- Alanna Kennedy Goal – 35’ – Alanna Kennedy blasts home from close range after Princess Ibini’s effort from distance is parried into the path of the Westfield Matildas’ defender.
- Sky Blues’ Penalty Shout – 59’ – Caitlin Foord appears to be bundled over while shooting after being played in by a ball over the top, however there’s no penalty and play goes on.
- Foord At The Far Post – 66’ – Lisa De Vanna takes on the Melbourne defence and crosses to the far post, just eluding Caitlin Foord sliding in.
- Dowie Volleys – 68’ – A cross from Melbourne’s left finds Natasha Dowie in the box but the ball is behind her and she can’t connect well with the volley, hitting it over the bar.
- Gielnik Goal – 68’ – Emily Gielnik is found by a sweeping ball on the right and she takes one touch before volleying in across goal on the bounce.
- Logarzo Goal – 71’ – In an immediate reply, Caitlin Foord and Chloe Logarzo combine for the latter to lob Dumont from close range, putting the ball in off the crossbar.
- Dowie Goal – 78’ – A ball forward finds Natasha Dowie in the Sky Blues’ box, and the Melbourne Captain turns and fires in low to restore parity.
There was little to split the sides in a tense opening first half, with chances at a premium as both defences held firm.
The Sky Blues’ had a prime opportunity to open the scoring early, as Chloe Logarzo won a spot kick after being brought down in the box, however Caitlin Foord’s penalty was parried to safety by Casey Dumont in goal.
Both sides continued to battle in midfield, before Alanna Kennedy ensured the Sky Blues would take a lead in at the break as she fired in from close range after Princess Ibini’s initial effort was spilled into her path.
Melbourne and the Sky Blues both emerged with renewed energy in the second half, with the game being played out end to end as both sides enjoyed space out on the wings.
Caitlin Foord had a penalty shout turned down after appearing to be bundled over while shooting after she latched onto a ball over the top, however her protests were waved away as the contest turned fiery.
Emily Gielnik restored parity for the home side just beyond the hour mark volleying home across goal, however the stalemate didn’t last long as Chloe Logarzo put Sydney FC back in the ascendancy three minutes later, lobbing Dumont from close range, seeing the ball nestle in the net off the bar.
With the game being stretched as space opened up behind each side late on, it was the hosts who scored the crucial goal, as Captain Natasha Dowie swivelled on a lobbed ball forward to convert low and ensure the points were shared.
Sydney FC return to Westfield W-League action at home at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Thursday night in the final regular season game against Melbourne City (kick off 7:30pm AEDT).
Sydney FC: 30. Trudy BURKE (GK), 2. Teresa POLIAS (c), 4. Elizabeth RALSTON, 6. Chloe LOGARZO, 8. Amy HARRISON, 9. Caitlin FOORD, 10. Savannah MCCASKILL 12. Natalie TOBIN (35’ 23. Danielle COLAPRICO), 14. Alanna KENNEDY, 20. Princess IBINI (63’ 11. Lisa DE VANNA), 22. Sofia HUERTA.
SUBS NOT USED: 40. Katie OFFER (GK), 5. Ally GREEN.
Yellow Cards: 28’ Caitlin FOORD, 59’ Savannah MCCASKILL.
Red Cards: None.
Melbourne Victory: 1. Casey DUMONT (gk), 3. Teigen ALLEN, 5. Laura ALLEWAY, 7. Christine NAIRN, 8. Angela BEARD, 9. Natasha DOWIE (c), 15. Emily GIELNIK, 16. Samantha JOHNSON, 17. Danielle WEATHERHOLT, 19. Lia PRIVITELLI (65’ 14. Melina AYRES), 21. Ella MASTRANTONIO.
SUBS NOT USED: 20. Bethany MASON-JONES (gk), 6. Annabel MARTIN, 18. Grace MAHER.
Yellow Cards: 51’ Ella MASTRANTONIO, 56’ Samantha JOHNSON.
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Lakeside Stadium
Referee: Casey Reibelt