Sydney FC 4 (Ninkovic 4’, Le Fondre 41’, Koutroumbis o.g 51’, Barbarouses 65’) def. Newcastle Jets 1 (Millar 9’)
Sydney FC have taken their impressive unbeaten home run against the Jets out to 10 games with a comprehensive 4-1 win at Leichhardt Oval sending them back to the top of the Hyundai A-League ladder.
Moments That Mattered:
- Le Fondre Chance – 1’ - Le Fondre goes through on goal following a mistake from Topor-Stanley but his chipped effort bounces inches wide.
- Ninkovic Goal - 6’ - Brattan whips in an inch perfect cross to find Ninkovic at the far post who calmly volleys into the bottom corner.
- Millar Goal – 9’ – Jets grab an equaliser through Millar who rises the highest from a Petratos free-kick.
- Penalty Shout Waved On – 25’ – Referee Shaun Evans waves play on to a suspicious tackle by Boogaard on Barbarouses.
- Le Fondre Goal – 42’ – Le Fondre takes his tally out to three for the season with a first time finish into the top-right.
- Koutroumbis Own Goal – 51’ – A deflection off Koutroumbis’ leg forces Moss to misjudge the volley from McGowan as the ball rolls into the net.
- Barbarouses Goal – 64’ – Some silky skills from Barbarouses sees the Kiwi dance around Moss and tap it in to an empty net to grab his first goal for the Sky Blues.
- Le Fondre Chance – 69’ – A powerful shot from the Englishman lashes just beyond the left post.
- Redmayne Save – 79’ – Needed for the first time tonight, Redmayne makes a reflex stop at the near post to deny Topor-Stanley.
- Buhagiar Chance – 87’ – Put through one-on-one by Caceres, Buhagiar almost gets a debut A-League goal for Sydney FC but sends a shot straight into the arms of Moss.
Sydney FC’s return to Leichhardt ended in a comfortable 4-1 win over the Jets in a high-quality affair.
The game sprung into life from the first whistle with a goal-a-piece in the first ten minutes. Ninkovic’s sublime finish from Brattan’s superb cross was followed by Millar’s bullet header from a wide free-kick.
Brattan’s distribution throughout the midfield was pinpoint, and Le Fondre’s weaving runs around the Jets backline were clinical as he put the Sky Blues ahead just before the break finishing a low cross from Grant.
The second-half started quite like the first as Sydney FC dominated the ball and field position. McGowan’s volley made it three while Barbarouses claimed his first goal in the Sky Blue with a solo classic.
Buhagiar made his long-waited A-League debut for the Sky Blues, exciting both fans and coaching staff and had an excellent chance to open his account for the season, when he latched onto Caceres’ through ball, only for his shot to roll straight to Moss.
After a quality second-half performance, Sydney FC surge to their third win of the season and will enjoy it with a bye round next week.
What They Said: Steve Corica: “I was very pleased with the boys backing up from last week. This week was the same performance, we dominated the game and got the result.
“The goals were some stunning play and we’ve definitely got a lot of goals in us, which is very pleasing. To put on another good performance with four goals is great.
“We’ve got the bye next week, the boys deserve a few days off and get them fresh and prepared for the #BigBlue. We’ll work hard next week in training and start preparing for the Melbourne game.
“The boys are playing really well at the moment and everyone pulled up all right which is great.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON (12. Trent BUHAGIAR 82’), 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN, 6. Ryan MCGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. Adam LE FONDRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC (17. Anthony CACERES 69’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 13. Brandon O’NEILL, 23. Rhyan GRANT (16. Joel KING 72’), 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs Not Used: 2. Patrick FLOTTMAN, 18. Luke IVANOVIC, 20. Thomas HOWARD-BELLE, 21. Harry Van der SAAG.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Newcastle Jets: 1. Glen MOSS (GK), 3. Jason HOFFMAN, 4. Nigel BOOGAARD, 6. Steven UGARKOVIC, 9. Abdiel ARROYO (11. Nicholas FITZGERALD 70’), 10. Dimitri PETRATOS, 16. Matthew MILLAR, 18. John KOUTROUMBIS, 23. Matthew RIDENTON, 32. Angus THURGATE (5. Benjamin KANTAROVSKI 45’), 44. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY.
Subs Not Used: 2. Robert BURNS, 19. Kosta PETRATOS, 20. Lewis ITALIANO, 22. Lachlan JACKSON, 28. Patrick Langlois.
Yellow Cards: Angus THURGATE 32’, Nigel BOOGAARD 74’.
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Leichhardt Oval
Crowd: 10, 511
Referee: Shaun Evans