Sydney FC 2 (Foord 33’, Huerta 68’) def. Brisbane Roar 1 (Nagasato 90’+2’)
Sydney FC have beaten Brisbane Roar 2-1 to make back to back Westfield W-League Grand Finals.
Moments That Mattered:
- Ibini Chance - 18’ – Foord wins the ball in an advanced area to set up Ibini but her shot is just parried wide.
- Ibini Chance 31’ – The Sky Blues forward wraps her foot around the ball but it flashes just wide of the right hand post.
- Foord Goal 33’ – Colaprico’s dazzling feet sets up Foord to bend the ball out of reach of the Brisbane keeper.
- Logarzo Chance - 60’ – McCaskill whips the ball into the box to Logarzo but the ball wouldn’t sit.
- Foord Chance – 64’ – A scramble in the box with multiple chances ends with Foord who attempts the overhead effort but it’s just dealt with.
- Bledsoe Save – 64’ – Brisbane break up the other end immediately but Blesdsoe stands tall for the side to maintain the advantage.
- Huerta Goal – 68’ – Kennedy’s quick feet and cute cut back from the back post sets up Huerta to thump home and double the advantage.
- Nagasato Goal – 90+2’ – The ball bobbles nicely for Brisbane player to thump into the top right corner.
Head clashes, tasty challenges and a number of Ibini chances came before a classy Colaprico assist enabled Sky Blues striker Foord to finish from just inside the area.
The second half was met with much of the same as Juric’s side dominated the chances in a flurry of action just past the hour mark.
This proved to be a pivotal point in the tense and tight affair as the Sky Blues doubled their advantage after some silky footwork from Kennedy allowed Huerta to hammer her effort past Arnold.
Brisbane’s task was made all the more difficult with ten to go when Tathem was given her marching orders for bringing a goal bound Ibini down just outside the area.
A late goal from Brisbane gave the home side the smallest glimmer of hope but the Sky Blues held on to book an equalling best fifth grand final berth.
Sydney FC will host Perth Glory in the Grand Final next weekend.
What they said:
“I’m happy we’ve almost reached our potential and we have the Grand Final to get there.
“I have so much respect for Perth. We’re excited to be able to host the Grand Final and hopefully bring home the trophy to Sydney.”
“I’m super excited. Sitting out last year was never fun so I was never going to let us lose.
“I think this season myself and the whole team have built on the slow start. We’ve shown a lot of determination and improvement to get where we are.
“We’ll focus on ourselves this week and we still have a lot of potential
“I think if we are at our best, we can beat anyone.”
Sydney FC: 1. Aubrey BLEDSOE, 2. Teresa POLIAS, 4. Elizabeth RALSTON, 5. Ally GREEN (8. Amy HARRISON 73’), 6. Chloe LOGARZO, 9. Caitlin FOORD, 10. Savannah McCaskill, 14. Alan KENNEDY, 20. Princess IBINI-ISEI (21. Julia VIGNES 81’), 22. Sofia HUERTA, 23. Danielle COLAPRICO (17. Angelique HRISTODOULOU 88’)
Subs Not Used: 30. Trudy BURKE (GK), 3. Shadeene EVANS.
Yellow Cards: 5. Ally GREEN 39’
Red Cards: None.
Brisbane Roar FC: 1. Mackenzie ARNOLD (GK), 2. Carson PICKETT, 4. Clare POLKINGHOME, 5. Jenna McCORMICK, 6. Celeste BOUREILLE, 9. Chioma UBOGAGU (7. Indiah-Paige RILEY 70’), 11. Natalie TATHEM, 12. Alira TOBY, 16. Hayley RASO, 17. Yuki NAGASATO, 18. Leah DAVIDSON (19. Hollie PALMER 63’)
Subs not used: 20. Annalee GROVE (GK), 8. Kaitlyn TORPEY, 15. Abbey LLOYD.
Yellow Cards: 16. Hayley RASO 36’
Red Cards: 11. Natalie TATHEM 79’
Ground: Dolphin Stadium