Sydney FC 1 (Brosque 7’) drew. Western Sydney Wanderers FC 1 (Baumjohann 57’)
Sydney FC has drawn with Western Sydney Wanderers 1-1 in the latest instalment of the Sydney Derby at ANZ Stadium to extend their undefeated streak against their cross-town rivals to two years.
Moments That Mattered:
- Redmayne Save - 3’ – A deep ball from a free-kick to the edge of the six yard is met by Baccus with Redders pulling off a point blank save.
- Brosque Goal – 7’ – Caceres drives at the Western Sydney defence to slip through Brosque who slots home from the edge of the box
- Redmayne Save - 43’ – Redmayne denies Western Sydney twice in a matter of seconds following a goalmouth scramble.
- Calver Chance – 48’ – A deep cross evades all but Calver who can only get a toe to the ball and hits the post.
- Baumjohann Goal – 57’ – A massive deflection from a freekick wrong foots Redmayne for the equaliser.
- Redmayne Save – 73’ – A corner is driven to the edge of the box for Llorente to send a fizzing effort goal ward but Redders produces another great save.
The Sky Blues early dominance was rewarded within the first ten minutes of play when Brosque finished off some great play in the lead up by Caceres.
For the few times Western Sydney threatened in the first, Redmayne provided some exceptional reaction saves to maintain the lead.
Western Sydney would get back into the contest shortly after the break via a heavily deflected Baumjohann freekick
Chances fell the way of both sides throughout the second stanza with Le Fondre almost sealing a vital three points in the fifth minute of injury with an audacious long-range effort.
It wasn’t to be as the game ended level meaning another season we have remained undefeated in Sydney Derby encounters.
Corica’s men will take on Perth Glory next in a tantalising top of the table clash at Jubilee Stadium next Thursday night.
What they said:
“The effort was there and they pushed right until the end to get the winner and it was very end to end. First half you could see we had more energy.
“Other than the deflection for their goal, Redders only had to make a couple of saves. They had their chances, as we did.
“Our boys played well and put in the effort we expected. The players will be disappointed we were winning 1-0 and didn’t see the game out.
“I said to the boys be ready for them because we’ve beaten them three times and they want to put one on us.
“The boys wanted to win by more and that was the message at half time. Wednesday took it out of them even mentally leading three times and again here tonight but they showed great character.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 2. Aaron CALVER, 4. Alex WILKINSON, 6. Joshua BRILLANTE, 7. Michael ZULLO, 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. Adam Le FONDRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 13. Brandon O’NEILL (11. Daniel De SILVA 82’), 14. Alex BROSQUE (16. Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD 45’), 17. Anthony CACERES (22. Siem de JONG 65’), 23. Rhyan GRANT.
Subs Not Used: 20. Aleksander CISAK (GK), 18. Jacob TRATT.
Yellow Cards: 13. Brandon O’NEILL 56’, 2. Aaron CALVER 87’
Red Cards: None.
Western Sydney Wanderers FC: 20. Vedran JANJETOVIC (GK), 5. Brendan HAMILL, 9. Oriol RIERA (49. Manyiel Riel MAJOK 84’), 10. Alexander BAUMJOHANN (19. Mark BRIDGE 70’), 11. Bruce KAMAU, 12. Mitchell DUKE, 17. Keanu BACCUS (3. Giancarlo GALLIFUOCO 45’), 21. Tarek ELRICH, 22. Rashid MAHAZI, 24. Raul LLORENTE, 28. Rolieny BONEVACIA.
Subs not used: 50. Jack GREENWOOD (GK), 13. Tass MOURDOUKOUTAS.
Yellow Cards: 17. Keanu BACCUS 11’, 11. Bruce KAMAU 12’, 24. Raul LLORENTE 14’
Red Cards: None.
Ground: ANZ Stadium
Referee: Shaun Evans