Sydney FC 2 (Bobô pen 18’, Grant 47’) Western United
A confident Sydney FC were full value for their 2-0 win over Western United at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, dominating a one-sided contest with a penalty from Bobô and a goal from Rhyan Grant on his 200th A-League appearance securing the three points.
VIDEO: Highlights v Western United
Moments That Mattered:
- PAIN HITS POST - 2’ – Pain is sent free but blasts it off the post under pressure from McGowan.
- BOBÔ SCORES PENALTY – 18’ – Barbarouses is brought down in the box by a clumsy challenge from Calver and Bobô steps up from the spot to slot it into the corner.
- CACERES SHOT SAVED 25’ – Some neat one touch build-up sees Ninkovic find Caceres, who takes a touch and fires the ball at goal which Scott saves.
- GRANT GOAL - 47’ – Brattan to Barbarouses who feeds Grant on the overlapping run and the full back slots it between the keepers legs on his 200th A-League appearance.
- NINKOVIC CHANCE – 66’ – The Serbian brings down a high ball inside the box and feints to shoot but the keeper, isn’t fooled and gets a touch to the ball to put it behind.
- BARBAROUSES CHANCE – 75’ – Grant gets to the byline and pulls it back to Barbarouses who hits a fiercesome shot just past the post.
- IVANOVIC RUN – 80’ – Ivanovic does well to win the ball back on the left and sprints past two defenders in a tight position but his centre can’t find anyone when a goal looked certain if it had.
- SWIBEL SHOOTS WIDE – 88’ – Young Swibel races into the right edge of the area and strikes a shot agonisingly wide of the keeper’s right hand post.
- WALES MISS FROM CLOSE RANGE – 90’ – Pieras crosses from the right to Wales who puts over from underneath the cross bar.
- DURANTE SENT OFF – 90’ + 4’ – Andrew Durante is sent off for slapping Jordi Swibel in the face.
Sydney FC have moved to within two points of second place with a game in hand following a dominant 2-0 win over Western United at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.
The visitors hit the post in the opening minute however it was all the Sky Blues after that with Bobô putting Sydney FC on their way from the spot after Barbarouses was brought down in the box by Calver.
An attack-minded Sydney FC had a number of other chances well saved by Scott however he could do little to stop Rhyan Grant from doubling the lead just after the break.
The Sky Blues continued to dominate and should have had further goals but will settle for the three points as the look to climb the ladder some more on Saturday against the Newcastle Jets.
What they said: Steve Corica: “It’s pleasing to get three points but I think we did it in style because we’ve been playing like that in the last three or four games, so it’s just good to get rewards for the way we’ve been playing.
“By scoring the goal in the first half helps as well as it puts them under a little bit of pressure but also opens up the game for us which is what we like.
“I think he [Ninko] rolled his ankle a little bit, he said it’s not too bad. We’ve got a short turn around, we play at home on Saturday against Newcastle so we’ll see how it is tomorrow but he says it’s not bad.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. BOBÔ (27. Jordan SWIBEL 78’), 10. Milos NINKOVIC (5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN 78’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (18. Luke IVANOVIC 78’), 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN (28. Calem NIEUWENHOF 86’).
Subs: 20. Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 3. Ben WARLAND, 33. Patrick WOOD.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Western United: 30. Ryan SCOTT (gk), 2.Aaron CALVER (5. Dylan PIERIAS 45’), 3.Brendan HAMILL, 4.Andrew DURANTE, 6.Tomoki IMAI, 7.Besart BERISHA (8. Lachlan WALES 69’), 11.Connor PAIN, 13.Ivan VUJICA, 20.Victor SANCHEZ (9. Kaine SHEPPARD 86’), 22.Tomislav USKOK, 25.Luke DUZEL (26.Nicolas MILANOVIC 58’), 34.Iker GUARROTXENA (27.Jerry SKOTADIS 58’).
Subs: 40.Charlie EMERY (gk), 10. Steven LUSTICA.
Yellow Cards: Uskok 76’,
Red Cards: Durante 94’.
Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
Referee: Daniel Elder