Sydney FC 1 (Foord 57’) def. Adelaide United 0
Sydney FC have made it two wins from two games to start the 2019/20 season, with a second half strike to Westfield Matilda Caitlin Foord sealing three points on the road in South Australia.
Moments That Mattered:
- Huerta Shoots – 11’ – Sofia Huerta fires wide from the top of the box, following great work from Remy Siemsen to create the chance.
- Fowler Tires Her Luck – 22’ – The Matildas youngster fires a powerful effort at goal from the edge of the Sky Blues’ box, but it’s straight at Aubrey Bledsoe who saves.
- Aubrey Bledsoe Stands Tall – 24’ – Isabel Hodgson with the best chance of the half, as she latches onto a ball over the top to charge into the box and shoot, but Aubrey Bledsoe stands tall to parry the shot.
- Foord Has An Effort – 25’ – In an end to end passage of play, Caitlin Foord skips beyond two Adelaide defenders before dragging her shot wide of the post from 18 yards.
- Hosdgson Hits The Bar – 45’ – A scare at the end of the half as Weber cuts back from the byline and finds Hodgson in the Sky Blues’ box, but her toe at goal flicks off the cross bar and out.
- Weber Finds The Side-Netting – 53’ – Mallory Weber springs free on the left and cuts into the box, but her drive at goal only finds the side-netting.
- Caitlin Foord Strikes – 57’ – Chloe Logarzo slides a ball through for Caitlin Foord in the box and the Westfield Matilda shrugs off her marker to convert low beyond the goalkeeper.
- Ibini Hits The Post – 63’ – Buoyed by the goal, the Sky Blues go in search of a second with Princess Ibini curling an effort into the base of the post from the edge of the box.
- Bledsoe Denies Weber – 65’ – Aubrey Bledsoe dives strongly to her right to deny Mallory Weber at the near post.
- Brave Bledsoe Saves Low – 81’ – Mary Fowler takes a heavy touch when played in one on one and Aubrey Bledsoe dives bravely at the feet of the forward to smother the ball.
A cagey opening at Marden Sports Complex gave way to an end to end first half with both sides having chances to head in at half time with a lead.
Sofia Huerta was the first to have a meaningful effort at goal, driving wide from the top of the box in the 11th minute after a strong opening from the Sky Blues who afforded the Reds little time on the ball.
Aubrey Bledsoe was twice called into action 10 minutes later however, first denying Mary Fowler before parrying the best chance of the first 45 after Isabel Hodgson found herself one on one but fired straight at the American.
Hodgson again had a chance to open the scoring with the final kick of the half but could only toe an effort out off the crossbar as the two sides went in at the break level.
The second half opened in much the same vein before Caitlin Foord put the Sky Blues in the lead just before the hour mark.
Breaking on the counter attack, Chloe Logarzo slid a perfectly weighted ball through for her Westfield Matildas team mate, who shrugged off her defender to convert low beyond the keeper.
Buoyed by the opener Sydney FC went close again six minutes later as Princess Ibini fired into the base of the post before a series of substitutes slowed the pace of the game.
With under 10 minutes remaining Aubrey Bledsoe again thwarted the hosts, diving bravely at the feet of Mary Fowler to smother the youngsters heavy touch and ensure the three points returned to Sydney.
Sydney FC are next in Westfield W-League action away against Perth Glory at Dorrien Gardens on Sunday 1 December (kick off 4pm AEDT).
Sydney FC: 1. Aubrey BLEDSOE (GK), 2. Teresa POLIAS (C), 5. Ally GREEN (75’ 16. Julia VIGNES), 6. Chloe LOGARZO, 7. Ellie BRUSH, 9. Caitlin FOORD, 10. Remy SIEMSEN (68’ 3. Shadeene EVANS), 11. Sofia HUERTA (78’ 15. Mackenzie HAWKESBY), 12. Natalia TOBIN, 17. Angelique HRISTODOULOU, 20. Princess IBINI-ISEI.
Subs Not Used: 30. Trudy BURKE (GK).
Yellow Cards: Brush 26’, Foord 90+2’.
Red Cards: None.
Adelaide United: 1. Sarah WILLACY (GK), 2. Emily HODGSON, 3. Khalia HOGG (77’ Ciara FOWLER), 4. Mallory WEBER, 9. Mary FOWLER, 11. Laura JOHNS, 12. Isabel HODGSON (65’ 5. Charlotte GRANT), 14. Julia ASHLEY, 16. Dylan HOLMES, 18. Lais Dos Santos ARAUJO (74’ 6. Georgia CAMPAGNALE), 22. Amber Brooks (C).
Subs Not Used: 20. Evelyn GOLDSMITH (GK).
Yellow Cards: M. Fowler 81’.
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Marden Sports Complex