Sydney FC 3 (Bobô 42’, Barbarouses 52’, Baumjohann 84’ pen) def. Melbourne Victory 0
Sydney FC have continued a remarkable run of six consecutive wins against Melbourne Victory defeating their Big Blue rivals 3-0 with goals from Bobô, Barbarouses and Baumjohann.
Moments that Mattered:
- BRATTAN HITS POST – 4’– Barbarouses feeds Brattan on the edge of the box and the midfielder sees his rasping drive hit the post and behind for a goal kick.
- FANTASTIC REDMAYNE SAVE – 28’– Traore moves onto the ball at pace and unleashes a shot towards goal which Redmayne pushes onto the post with his finger-tips and away.
- KAMSOBA SENT OFF – 32’ – The striker is shown a red for a second yellow card following a tackle on Retre. An earlier high foot on McGowan coming back to haunt the frontman.
- BOBÔ GOAL – 42’ – Barbarouses plays a lovely one-two with Caceres, gets to the byline and pulls the ball back to Bobô who slots home with ease.
- BARBAROUSES GOAL – 52’ – Caceres darts inside from the wing and flicks a delightful ball through to Barbarouses who takes a touch and drills the ball underneath Acton.
- OFF THE POST AND LINE – 57’ – A scramble in the box ends with Barbarouses nudging the ball off the post with the ball rolling across goal to Bobô who chips to the back post where Grant loops a header which is headed off the line by Butterfield.
- CACERES SHOT SAVED – 61’ – Ivanovic cuts the ball back from the byline to Caceres who’s first time shot is saved by Acton at his near post.
- BAUMJOHANN HEADER SAVED – 62’ – A right wing corner is headed goalwards by Baumjohann but Acton is at full length to deny him.
- NIEUWENHOF SHOT SAVED – 80’ – Nieuwenhof wins the ball in his own half and continues forward into the Victory half turning Ansell one way and shooting low which Acton saves with his legs.
- BAUMJOHANN GOAL – 84’ - Sydney FC are awarded a penalty following a VAR review of a shirt pull in the box. Baumjohann drives home the spot-kick.
- MCGOWAN GOAL DISALLOWED – 90’+3’ – McGowan has the ball in the net following up Wood’s saved shot however he comes in from an offside position and VAR chalks it off.
Sydney FC have defeated Melbourne Victory 3-0 at AAMI Park thanks to goals from Bobô, Kosta Barbarouses and Alex Baumjohann.
Elvis Kamsoba was shown a red card for a second bookable offence just after the half hour mark and it was one way traffic for the rest of the game.
Great play between Barbarouses and Caceres led to the Kiwi crossing for Bobô to tap home with three minutes to go until half time, before an excellent run and pass by Caceres gave Barbarouses an opening early in the second half. The striker made no mistake from close range.
The Sky Blues continued to create chances before a VAR review of a shirt pull in the box gave Alex Baumjohann the chance to complete the job from the spot.
Sydney FC head into the first of three consecutive home games on Wednesday night against Perth Glory at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.
What They Said: Kosta Barbarouses: “It feels good. It’s a tough one because Victory are having a hard time of it and you don’t want to be the team that they bounce back against, so we needed to concentrate a lot.
“The red card hurt them, but I think we were pretty comfortable before that and we had little bits of quality which counted in the end.
“I think it was a combination of everything today, the forward runs and looking for them from deeper.
“It was a good performance today and something to build on because we’ve got a busy week coming up.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE (28. Calem NIEUWENHOF 58’), 9. BOBÔ (18. Luke IVANOVIC 58’), 10. Milos NINKOVIC (5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN 58’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (33. Patrick WOOD 86’), 16. Joel KING (3. Benjamin WARLAND 75’), 17 Anthony CACERES, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs: 20. Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 21. Harry VAN DER SAAG.
Yellow Cards: McGowan 63’.
Red Cards: None
Melbourne Victory: 1.Matt ACTON (gk), 2.Storm ROUX, 3.Adama TRAORE, 4.Nick ANSELL, 7.Callum McMANAMAN, 8.Jacob BUTTERFIELD, 10.Robbie KRUSE (11. Ben FOLAMI 67’), 14.Jay BARNETT, 15, Aaron ANDERSON, 17.Elvis KAMSOBA, 19.Dylan RYAN, 22.Jacob BRIMMER.
Subs: 20.Max CROCOMBE (gk), 13. Birkan KIRDAR, 16.Brandon LAUTON, 26. Lleyton BROOKS, 33.Dalibor MARKOVIC.
Yellow Cards: Kamsoba 14’.
Red Cards: Kamsoba 32’.
Venue: AAMI Park
Referee: Daniel Elder