Sydney FC 2 (Ray 48’, Lowe 76’) def. Newcastle Jets 1 (Andrews 41’)
Sydney FC’s young Westfield W-League squad are the only team with a 100 per cent record tonight after they defeated Newcastle Jets 2-1 to move second on the ladder.
Moments That Mattered:
- IBINI CHANCE – 9’ – Polias’ corner almost floats in until Coelho palms away and then saves Ibini’s follow up strike.
- SIEMSEN CHANCE - 12’ - The Jets turn the ball over and Siemsen fires at goal, but Coelho pushes it away to keep scores level.
- IBINI SHOT - 14’ - Polias flicks a deft backheel into the path of Ibini and the forward drives an effort just wide of the post.
- JETS GOAL - 41’ - Andrews converts from point blank range as the Sky Blues fail to clear a lofted free kick and follow up cross.
- RAY GOAL - 48’ - The Future Matilda curls a fine effort into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.
- VINE CHANCE - 73’ - Vine bursts into the area and sees a deflected effort bounce narrowly wide of the far post.
- LOWE GOAL - 76’ - A superb strike from long distance beats the Jets keeper to give the Sky Blues the lead.
Sydney FC have moved into second place in the Westfield W-League after a fantastic comeback performance away to Newcastle Jets to win 2-1.
The home side took the lead through a scrambled goal just before half time through Tara Andrews.
However two fantastic second half, long range strikes from Taylor Ray and Rachel Lowe gave the Sky Blues the points and a place one point behind Canberra.
The young Sky Blues have now won both games they’ve played this season and are the only Westfield W-League squad to have recorded a 100% record so far.
What They Said:
Rachel Lowe: “I’m stoked to get the goal. I think the U.S. has taught me about the pace of the game and when you get your opportunity you’ve got to put it away.
“I’m just really happy to get the win and I’m loving being a part of this team.
“Coming off the bench is always hard, it’s hard to get momentum and you really need to thread into the game but I’m happy to do whatever job Ante wants me to do. I just try to make an impact and play positive.”
Sydney FC: 1. Jada WHYMAN (gk), 2. Teresa POLIAS (c), 3. Charlotte McLEAN, 5. Ally GREEN (17.Angelique HRISTODOULOU 88’), 7. Ellie BRUSH, 10. Remy SIEMSEN (9. Allira TOBY 59’) 11. Cortnee VINE (19. Charlize RULE 88’), 12. Natalie TOBIN, 15. Mackenzie HAWKESBY, 18. Taylor RAY (8. Rachel LOWE 68’), 20. Princess IBINI.
Subs Not Used: 30. Katie OFFER (GK).
Yellow Cards None.
Red Cards: None.
Newcastle Jets: 20.Claire COELHO (GK), 2.Hanna BREWER (13. Laura ALLAN 61’), 4.Chloe O’BRIEN, 5.Alisha BASS, 6.Cassidy DAVIS, 7.Gema SIMON, 9.Tara ANDREWS, 11.Rhianna POLLICINA, 15. Sophie HARDING (12. Tessa TAMPLIN 61’), 16.Sunny FRANCO (3.Jemma HOUSE 70’) , 18.Taren KING.
Subs Not Used: 30.Nicole SIMONSEN (GK),, 14. Tiana JABER.
Yellow Cards: Davis 33’.
Red Cards: None.
Ground: McDonald Jones Stadium.
Referee: Isabella Libri