Sydney FC 2 (Retre 21’ 26’) def. Adelaide United 1 (McGree 38’).
Sydney FC have battled out a 2-1 win over Adelaide United to claim their 10th straight win at home in the Hyundai A-League.
Moments That Mattered:
- Strain Post – 5’ – An effort from distance by Strain strikes the right-hand upright.
- Barbarouses Chance – 10’ – Beating his defender on the turn, the Kiwi lined up the shot but was saved by the foot of Izzo.
- Barbarouses + Le Fondre Chances – 19’ – Barbarouses’ tricky feet help him around his defender as Le Fondre slams the follow-up into the crossbar.
- Retre Goal – 21’ – Retre smashes it home off the rebound after the initial header by Van Der Saag was saved by Izzo.
- Retre Goal – 26’ – After some slick moves from Baumjohann and Barbarouses, the ball fell to Retre who places it in the bottom right.
- McGree Goal – 38’ – McGree slides in to pull one back for the visitors, finishing off a Troisi free-kick.
- Barbarouses Chance – 64’ – A clever cutback sets up the shot but it’s deflected into the side-netting.
- Swibel Chance – 88’ – Fresh off the bench, Swibel goes through one-on-one but Izzo stands tall to save.
- Le Fondre Chance – 90+3’ – Swibel tees up Le Fondre in the box but the Englishman blasts it wide.
Sydney FC almost went behind early on when Strain’s strike powered into the right post and Barbarouses had his attempt denied by Izzo just minutes later.
The Sky Blues then thought they went ahead when Barbarouses had his low shot stopped by Izzo before Le Fondre’s shot deflected off the crossbar.
But they would finally get the goals they deserved when Retre found himself open at the back post before he slotted his second of the night into the bottom corner just minutes later.
This lead was halved just before half-time when McGree found himself unmarked off a free-kick to put it past Redmayne.
Chances were hard to come by in the second 45 as Swibel almost grabbed a goal with his first touch and Le Fondre blasted wide in the dying stages.
Sydney FC now take their impressive winning run at home out to 10 straight matches.
What They Said: Steve Corica: “I’m very pleased with the three points and overall performance. First half we were very good. I think it was pretty even overall, there wasn’t too many chances for either side and the possession was even as well.”
“[On Paulo Retre] To come up with two goals is outstanding and he’s really enjoying having a run at number six. You can see his quality.
“I think Paulo has been very good the whole season. We’re very pleased with the way he’s going.”
“The players that have come in are doing exceptionally well. Paulo [Retre], Joel King and Harry Van Der Saag did really well tonight too.”
“[On playing conditions] “I think the conditions did get the better of us in the second half. Both sets of players did well to play on in them.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN, 6. Ryan MCGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. Adam LE FONDRE, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (27. Jordan SWIBEL 87’), 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES, 21. Harry VAN DER SAAG (7. Michael ZULLO 76’), 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs Not Used: 30. Adam PAVLESIC (GK), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN, 24. Marco TILIO, 25. Ryan TEAGUE, 28. Calem NIEUWENHOF.
Yellow Cards: Luke Brattan 65’, Paulo Retre 76’.
Red Card. None.
Adelaide United: 20. Paul IZZO (GK), 4. Ryan STRAIN (2. Michael MARRONE 81’), 5. Michael MARIA, 8. Riley MCGREE (11. Kristian OPSETH 68’)), 10. James TROISI, 14. George BLACKWOOD, 17. Nikola MILEUSNIC (7. Ryan KITTO 73’), 22. Michael JAKOBSEN, 23. Jordan ELSEY, 26. Benjamin HALLORAN, 27. Louis D’ARRIGO.
Subs Not Used: 40. Dakota OCHSENHAM (GK), 16. Nathan KONSTANDOPOLOUS, 18. Lachlan BROOK.
Yellow Cards: Benjamin Halloran 54’, Ryan Strain 59’, Ryan Kitto 90’.
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
Referee: Adam Fielding