Sydney FC 3 (Wood 66’, 85’, Ninkovic 76’) def. Macarthur 0
Sydney FC have taken the spoils in their first ever meeting with new Sydney club Macarthur defeating the Campbelltown based side 3-0 with goals from Patrick Wood and Milos Ninkovic.
Moments That Mattered:
- MCGOWAN SHOT TIPPED OVER - 10' – A left wing Brattan corner is headed clear as far as McGowan on the right angle of the box and his well-struck volley is tipped over by Federici.
- BUHAGIAR CHANCE – 20’ – Retre feeds King on the left who swings in a cross to Buhagiar but the striker lifts the ball just over the bar from six yards.
- MILLIGAN RED CARD – 21’ – Buhagiar is sent clear behind the defence until Milligan brings him down from behind resulting in the centre half being sent for an early bath.
- REDMAYNE SAVE – 36’ – Susaeta breaks on the counter and turns into the box before drilling a right foot shot towards the bottom corner which Redmayne gets a finger tip to.
- MCGOWAN BLOCKS CHANCE – 58’ – Rose finds himself clear on the left, he cuts inside Grant and shoots but McGowan is back to block with his knees.
- WOOD GOAL – 66’ – Grant bursts forward and slides a ball in behind for Barbarouses who shoots low and first time. Federici can only parry it into the path of Wood the substitute who has a tap in.
- NINKOVIC GOAL – 76’ – Ninkovic picks up the ball in the centre of the field and drives through four Macarthur players before coolly slotting beyond Federici.
- REDMAYNE SAVE – 79’ – Lachie Rose latches onto a ball between the Sydney FC defence and shoots but Redmayne is out quickly to block and then push away the rebound.
- WOOD GOAL – 85’ – Swibel cuts in from the left to pass to Wood who sweeps the ball home convincingly.
Sydney FC secured their second win of the season thanks to two first A-League goals for young striker Pat Wood and a sublime individual piece of brilliance from Milos Ninkovic.
The Sky Blues had good first half chances for McGowan and Buhagiar and were given a boost when Macarthur centre half Mark Milligan was sent off for a professional foul, bringing down Trent Buhagiar who was clear on goal.
A lightning storm delayed the start of the second half for 45 minutes and when it did restart the Sky Blues ensured they secured the three points 3with substitute Wood firing home from close range after good work from Barbarouses to net the first.
Ninkovic danced through four Bulls defenders to smash home a second before Wood made it three sweeping home from close range after being set up by Swibel.
The Sky Blues have a week and two days before their next game with Wellington Phoenix the visitors to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Monday week.
What they said: Steve Corica: “The amount of quality we have in the team we should win this game 3 or 4 nil but until that first goal goes in they defended quite well.
“They were trying to catch us on the counter I thought and did a couple of times.
“I’m very pleased with the boys who came on, they changed the game and made a difference and it was a good performance. We dominated but it was difficult for them with ten men.
“Pat Wood did really well, he’s very aggressive defensively, he makes good runs and he can score.
“Ninkovic is quality, you saw it today, I’m very pleased for him. I keep telling him to shoot and when he does he scores.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (27. Jordi SWIBEL 85’), 12. Trent BUHAGIAR (33. Patrick WOOD 59’), 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES (5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN 59’), 23. Rhyan GRANT (25. Callum TALBOT, 26. Luke BRATTAN (28. Calem NIEUWENHOF 59’).
Subs: 20. Tom HEWARD-BELLE, 3. Ben WARLAND.
Yellow Cards: Brattan 54’, Baumjohann 67’,
Red Cards: None.
Macarthur FC: 1.Adam FEDERICI (gk), 4.Benat ETXEBARRIA (22. Liam ROSE 63’), 5 Mark MILLIGAN (c), 6.Aleksandar JOVANOVIC, 7.Ivan FRANJIC, 8.Denis GENREAU, 10.Loic PUYO (31. Lachlan ROSE 46’), 11.Tommy OAR (3.Antony GOLEC 24’), 12.James MEREDITH (24.Charles M’MOMBWA 79’), 27.Matt DERBYSHIRE, 33.Markel SUSAETA (14. Moudi NAJJAR 79’).
Subs: 16.Nick SUMAN (gk), 21.Jake HOLLMAN.
Yellow Cards: Derbyshire 33’, Franjic 63’, Jovanovic 64’
Red Cards: Milligan 24’.
Venue: Campbelltown Sports Stadium.
Referee: Alex King.