Highlights & Report: Sydney FC Go Level On Top
Sydney FC 2 ( Le Fondre 16’, 55’) def. Brisbane Roar 1 (McKay 35’)
Sydney FC have gone level on top of the Hyundai A-League after a pulsating 2-1 win over Brisbane Roar at Jubilee Stadium to make it three wins in a row for Steve Corica's men.
Moments That Mattered:
- Le Fondre Goal – 16’ – an inch perfect cross from Zullo finds Alfie who lifts his header over the stranded keeper Young.
- Redmayne Save – 21’ - Ingham’s looping header is dipping under the cross bar until Redmayne tips over the bar.
- Brosque Header Saved – 25’ – de Jong’s excellent cross finds Brosque who hits a bullet header at goal which Young tips over.
- McKay Goal – 35’ – A ball back across goal is palmed away by Redmayne but only into the upper chest area of McKay who bundles it over the line despite claims of handball.
- Le Fondre Goal – 55’ – Well worked goal with Ninkovic feeding de Jong who found O’Neill wide. The midfielder’s cutback to Le Fondre is brilliantly flicked into the far corner by the Englishman.
- Brosque Chance Saved – 79’ – Brosque is played through by De Silva and shoots but it is saved by the legs of Young and De Silva’s follow up is also blocked
- Redmayne Penalty Save – 85’ – Calver is controversially adjudged to have brought down Taggart in the box and after four minutes of VAR consultation the penalty is awarded. However, Redmayne is down low to his left to save Taggart’s shot and preserve Sydney FC’s lead.
The Sky Blues have moved level on points with Melbourne Victory and Perth Glory following an exciting encounter with Brisbane Roar at Jubilee Stadium tonight.
Steve Corica’s men dominated the first period and opened the scoring in the 16th minute with Adam Le Fondre looping a header over the keeper after Michael Zullo’s inch perfect cross.
More chances followed for the Sky Blues but it was the Roar who levelled after Matt McKay bundled the ball over the line with the area between his chest and bicep after Redmayne had parried Ingham’s cross.
Le Fondre restored Sydney FC’s lead after the break with a beautifully worked passing move. Ninkovic found the run of de Jong who fed O’Neill and the midfielder’s low ball into the box to Le Fondre was expertly turned into the bottom corner of the net.
Brosque had a good chance to put the game beyond doubt following a good ball from De Silva, before Brisbane missed a glorious opportunity to draw level.
Calver was adjudged to have tripped Taggart in the box and after four minutes of VAR deliberation the referee awarded the penalty.
The former Socceroos striker then stepped to strike the ball low to Redmayne’s left but the keeper was equal to it and got down brilliantly to stop it and secure the three points for Sydney FC.
What they said:
Head Coach Steve Corica: “I thought we were very good. Brisbane put up a good performance but don’t take any credit away from our boys I think they did really well especially early in the first half and early in the second half.
“We went a goal up and should have been three goals up at half time. Then in the second half we perhaps should have scored more.
“Brisbane came a little bit stronger towards the end because they were chasing the game but for me our boys were the better team.”
Sydney FC: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 2.Aaron CALVER, 4.Alex WILKINSON, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Michael ZULLO, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC (24. Cam DEVLIN 94’), 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 14.Alex BROSQUE (18.Jacob TRATT 90’), 22.Siem DE JONG (11.Daniel DE SILVA 68’).
Subs Not Used: 20.Alex CISAK (GK), 31.Luke IVANOVIC.
Yellow Cards: Calver 28’, Retre 76’, Brosque 85’,
Red Cards: None.
Brisbane Roar: 21. Jamie YOUNG, 2. Dane INGHAM (33. HENRIQUE 65), 4. Daniel BOWLES, 8. Jacob PEPPER, 9. Adam TAGGART, 11. Eric BAUTHEAC, 14. Alejandro LOPEZ SANCHEZ, 17. Matthew MCKAY, 18. Joe CALETTI (26. Nicholas D’AGOSTINO 62’), 19. Jack HINGERT, 24. Connor O’TOOLE (22. Tobias MIKKELSEN 80’).
Subs not used: 1. Brendan WHITE (GK), 34. Aaron REARDON.
Yellow Cards: Bowles 6’, McKay 11’,
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Jubilee Stadium