Sydney FC 0 def. by Yokohama F. Marinos 4 (Onaiwu 12’, 51’, Nakagawa 31’, 33’)
Sydney FC’s 2020 AFC Champions League campaign has started with a 4-0 defeat away to a classy Yokohama F. Marinos.
Moments That Mattered:
- Onaiwu Goal – 12’ – The hosts opening the scoring as a heavily deflected shot finds its way past a helpless Redmayne.
- Redmayne Save – 25’ – A dangerous Yokohama attack is thwarted by Redmayne who parries away a low driven cross
- Nakagawa Goal – 31’ – Onaiwu gets a slight flick on a through ball to find Nakagawa as he chips the ball over an advancing Redmayne
- Nakagawa Goal – 33’ – A quick fire double for the Yokohama forward who finds himself with space in the box to turn and slot away from close in.
- Onaiwu Goal – 51’ – Yokohama work the ball out wide to deliver Onaiwu with a tap-in and second of the night.
- Grant Chance – 55’ – Baumjohann’s clever freekick is flicked on by Grant to only just be tipped and scrambled away by Yokohama
- Le Fondre Chance 64’ – Barbarouses squares it for Le Fondre who appears to be brought down in the box but the referee waves play on.
- Buhagiar Chance – 83’ – Tilio’s purposeful run finishes with a Buhagiar shot that is just narrowly wide of the right-hand post.
- Buhagiar Chance – 90’ – The young forward's lightning pace sees him burst through and try to round the keeper but the ball is tipped away at the last.
- Redmayne Save – 90+2’ – A full stretch Redmayne tips away a certain goal close to the end of the match.
Yokohama opened the scoring on the night just past the ten-minute mark in fortuitous circumstances, as Onaiwu’s heavily deflected effort was too much for Redmayne.
The hosts pressure on a Sky Blue’s side without regular football in almost a month proved too much as Nakagawa netted a brace in quick fashion around the half hour mark to leave the side with a mountain to climb.
Ange Postecoglou’s side extended their advantage shortly after the half hour as Onawiu grabbed his second of the night, tapping into an empty net.
Sydney FC tested the Japanese on a number of occasions for the remainder of the match but were unable to convert their chances into reducing the deficit.
Head Coach Steve Corica’s men will look to bounce back as they return to domestic duties this Sunday night away to Central Coast.
What They Said:
Steve Corica: "Full credit to Yokohama, they were very good tonight, they played well but I think it showed that we haven't played for three weeks and it showed against their high tempo.
"The put us under pressure a lot in our build up, they're a good team but a couple of their goals were errors from our team."
Alex Wilkinson: "We weren't good enough today, we didn't keep the ball enough and they pressed really well.
"Not playing a game in 3 weeks didn't work for us.
"We've got to look at the footage, we conceded some soft goals, the first one was a deflection. We need to be stronger defensively.
"We forget about it now and move forward. Home games are very important in this competition and we'll regroup and get ready for Jeonbuk."
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN, 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE (24. Marco TILIO 73’), 9. Adam Le FONDRE, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (12. Trent BUHAGIAR 68’), 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES, 23. Rhyan GRANT (21. Harry Van Der SAAG 78’), 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs Not Used: 20. Thomas HEWARD-BELLE, 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN, 27. Jordan SWIBEL, 28. Calem NIEUWENHOF.
Yellow Cards: 16. Joel KING 61’, 6. Ryan McGOWAN 79’
Red Cards: None.
Yokohama F. Marinos: 21. Yuji KAJIKAWA (GK), 5. Theerathon BUNMATHAN, 6. Takahiro OHGIHARA, 8. Takuya KIDA (33. Takuya WADA 66’), 9. Marcos Junio SANTOS (7. Yuki OTSU 66’), 11. Thiago Martins BUENO, 15. Makito ITO, 23. Teruhito NAKAGAWA (18. Kota MIZUNUMA 75’), 27. Ken MATSUBARA, 45. Onaiwu ADO.
Subs Not Used: 34. Hirotsugu NAKABAYASHI, 16. Ryo TAKANO, 26. Kouta WATANABE, 41. Keiya SENTO.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Yokohama International Stadium
Referee: Mooud Bonyadifard