Sydney FC 2 (Ninkovic 45+2’, Buhagiar 82') drew. with 2 Central Coast Mariners (Urena 7’, Simon 41’)
A fantastic second half comeback from Sydney FC has produced an entertaining 2-2 draw against Central Coast Mariners, with the Sky Blues almost snatching a win late on and having two goals disallowed.
Moments That Mattered:
- Urena Goal - 7’ - Central Coast win the ball in midfield and transition quickly to Urena who drives, delays his strike and scores.
- Bobo Disallowed Goal - 32’ - Bobo smacks the ball into the back of the net following a goal-mouth scramble but it’s controversially ruled out for offside despite taking a final touch off a Mariners player.
- Simon Goal - 41’ - Simon plays a quick one-two to get in behind the Sydney FC defence and finish first time on the half volley across the face of Redmayne.
- Ninkovic Goal - 45+2’ - Brattan plays a peach of a ball In behind the Mariners defence for Ninkovic who times his run perfectly and dinks the ball over the keeper on the volley.
- Bobo Disallowed Goal - 58’ - Another goal frustratingly disallowed for the Brazilian target man with yet again another borderline offside decision in build up play.
- Buhagiar Goal - 82’ - The Sky Blues win the ball high up the pitch for Buhagiar and Barbarouses to play a one two with the former Mariner making no mistake, burying from close range to square the ledger.
- Wood Chance - 90’ - A through ball from Brattan to Buhagiar almost does the job as the latter pocks a toe at it with substitute Wood almost getting on the end of it to finish into an open net.
- Ninkovic Chance - 90+2’ - Ninkovic has space in front of him to let go from just outside the box but Birghitti just gets to the ball to deny a late winner for the Sky Blues.
A high intensity start to the match led to a very open match as both sides looked to attack with purpose from the outset. A plucky start from the home side saw them take the lead through Urena who made the most of a quick counter attack.
Sydney FC looked to have got back into the contest around the half hour mark however it was questionably ruled out despite Mariners playing at the ball. Former Sky Blue Simon then took advantage on the counter yet again to make it 2-0.
Serbian playmaker Ninkovic managed to get Steve Corica’s men back into the contest just before half time after an inch perfect pass from Brattan, lobbing the keeper on the volley.
The Sky Blues dominating proceedings in the second half as Central Coast defended deep and attempted to hit on the counter. Another disallowed goal for Bobo via VAR check denied the side a deserved way back into the contest.
Eventually the pressure told late into the stanza as second half substitute Trent Buhagiar got on the scoresheet. Winning the ball high up the pitch he played in Barbarouses who cut the ball back perfectly for the speedster to smash home from close range.
This was to be the last goal in an enthralling encounter on the coast as both sides had to settle for a point.
A blockbuster week awaits as the Sky Blues meet Melbourne Victory on Tuesday night before a big Sydney Derby clash at Bankwest Stadium.
What they said:
“A very entertaining game, especially first half. Both sides fighting for the result but we should have won tonight.
[On Bobo’s first half disallowed goal] “He’s played at it so it should have been a goal. Everyone saw it.
“We pinned them in their half for long periods of time and tried to hit on the counter. They’re a very good side."
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN (12. Trent BUHAGIAR 70’), 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 9. BOBO (33. Patrick WOOD 88’), 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES, 21. Harry Van der SAAG (8. Paulo RETRE 70’), 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs: 20. Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), Patrick FLOTTMANN, 3. Ben WARLAND, 18. Luke IVANOVIC.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Central Coast Mariners: 1. Mark BIRIGHITTI (GK), 4. Joshua NISBET, 5. Stefan NIGRO, 6. Gianni STENSNESS, 8. Oliver BOZANIC, 10. Daniel De SILVA (14. Daniel BOUMAN 89’), 11. Jack CLISBY, 12. Marco URENA (29. Alou KUOL 78’) , 15. Kye ROWLES, 19. Matt SIMON, 23. Daniel HALL (3. Lewis MILLER 57’).
Subs: 20. Adam PEARCE (GK), 22. Michal JANOTA, 25. Matthew HATCH, 26. Jaden CASSELLA.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Venue: Central Coast Stadium
Referee: Chris Beath