Sydney FC 1 (Zullo 89’) def. Wellington Phoenix 3 (Krishna 21’, 30’, Taylor 38’)
Sydney FC has gone down to Wellington Phoenix 3-1 courtesy of a clinical first half for the away side.
Moments That Mattered:
- Le Fondre Chance - 14’ –Retre delivers the ball in box for Le Fondre but his shot is just over the bar.
- Krishna Goal - 21’ – Singh feeds Krishna in behind for the Nix striker to finish one on one.
- Krishna Goal - 30’ – Krishna is played in behind and grabs his second of the day.
- Taylor Own Goal Disallowed – Grant gets clear on the right thanks to O’Neill’s pass and his driven centre is bundled into the net for an own goal however the linesman already has his flag up.
- Taylor Goal – 38’ – Wellington’s centre-half makes it three with his headed effort.
- Zullo Goal – 89’ – The Sky Blue left back grabs a late goal with a well-timed volley.
The visitors took a three-goal advantage at the break courtesy of a double for Krishna and headed goal from Taylor.
Corica’s men pressed hard to come back into the game in the second half but this proved difficult with the opposition sitting deeper as the half progressed.
A late volleyed goal from Zullo and provided a glimmer of hope but it wasn’t to be their day.
The Sky Blues will look to bounce back in next weeks’ blockbuster Sydney Derby clash against Western Sydney.
What they said: Steve Corica
“Very hard to come back from three goals but the second half was a little better. Got Siem back on the field and Danny got some minutes, which is a positive.
“We want to play good football but we want to win. We knew what to expect from Wellington, they’re direct and have pace.
“The defence starts from the front, it’s everyone. It’s something we’ll learn from next week in the big game against the Wanderers, move on and put on a good performance then.
“They’ll be changes next week. We’ve got players back. We have good form against the Wanderers and we expect to win and to put on a better performance than we did tonight.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Jop Van Der LINDEN, 6. Joshua BRILLANTE, 7. Michael ZULLO, 8. Paulo RETRE (22. Siem De JONG 45’), 9. Adam Le FONDRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC (31. Luke IVANOVIC 80’), 13. Brandon O’NEIL (11. Daniel De SILVA 65’), 14. Alex BROSQUE, 23. Rhyan GRANT.
Subs Not Used: 20. Aleksander CISAK (GK), 2. Aaron CALVER.
Yellow Cards: 6. Joshua BRILLANTE 40’, 14. Alex BROSQUE 42’, 7. Michael ZULLO 61’
Red Cards: None.
Wellington Phoenix: 20. Oliver SAIL (gk), 4. Armando Sosa PENA, 9. Nathan BURNS, 13. Liberato CACACE (19. Thomas DOYLE 68’), 14. Alex RUFER (6. Dylan FOX 80’), 15. Michal KOPCZYNSKI, 16. Louis FENTON, 18. Sarpreet SINGH, 21. Roy KRISHNA (11. David WILIAMS 59’), 22. Andrew DURANTE, 27. Steven TAYLOR.
Subs not used: 40. Ante COVIC (gk), 19. Thomas DOYLE, 23. Max BURGESS.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Jubilee Stadium
Referee: Jonathan Barreiro