Sydney FC 3 (Foord 13’, 76’, Logarzo 60’) def. Western Sydney Wanderers 0
Sydney FC have opened their Westfield W-League season with a convincing 3-0 win over the Western Sydney Wanderers at Marconi Stadium.
Moments That Mattered:
- Foord Goal - 13’ – Debutant McCaskill wins the ball and dances past two defenders before slotting a ball through to Foord who rounds the keeper and scores.
- De Vanna Chance – 30’ – McCaskill releases De Vanna who is free on the right but her low shot is saved by Whyman.
- De Vanna Chance - 39’ – Foord plays in De Vanna who attempts to go around the keeper but her touch is heavy and the ball goes out of play.
- Foord shot close – 52’ – McCaskill floats a ball to Foord who is free in the box and she volleys the ball just past the post.
- Logarzo Goal – 60’ - receives the ball from Polias and hits a swerving and powerful shot from 20 yards into the bottom right corner.
- LaBonta hits post – 69’ – LaBonta drives forward and strikes the post with a long range shot from distance.
- Logarzo hits bar – 71’ – Cross from De Vanna finds Logarzo who’s header crashes off the bar.
- Foord Goal – 76’ – De Vanna picks up the ball midway through the opposition’s half, beats two players, before driving past a third and crossing for an unmarked Foord to slot home from close range.
The Sky Blues eased to a first win of the season thanks to two goals from Caitlin Foord and another from Chloe Logarzo.
Foord began the rout in the 13th minute after an excellent pass from new signing Savannah McCaskill.
De Vanna was twice close to adding to the tally in the first half but was denied by Whyman on both occasions, meaning Sydney FC went in only one goal to the good at the break.
Logarzo doubled the lead on the hour mark with a thumping strike before both sides hit the woodwork, and Foord rounded off the scoring following great work from De Vanna.
What they said:
Caitlin Foord: “To start the season off with a win is always nice, and building confidence going into the next game.
“That was the ultimate goal today to get the win, and we did that. I’m very happy with that [her two goals on the night].
“I’ve been lacking a bit of confidence up front scoring goals and getting shots away so to get the two goals in my first game, helps with the confidence.
“An unselfish one from Lisa along the way, it was a good team goal and I’ll take it.”
Sydney FC: 1. Aubrey BLEDSOE, 2. Teresa POLIAS, 6. Chloe LOGARZO, 7. Rachael SOUTAR, 9. Caitlin FOORD, 10. Savannah McCASKILL (24. Bryany PARKER 67’), 11. Lisa DE VANNA (5. Ally GREEN 81’), 12. Natalie TOBIN, 17. Ange HRISTODOULOU, 22. Sofia HUERTA, 23 Danielle COLAPRICO (25. Darcey MALONE 82’).
Subs Not Used: 30. Trudy BURKE (GK).
Yellow Cards: Polias 34’, Colaprico 79’.
Red Cards: None.
Western Sydney Wanderers: 1. Jada WHYMAN (GK), 2. Caitlin COOPER, 6. Servet UZUNLAR, 7. Lo’eau LABONTA, 8. Erica HALLOWAY, 9. Remy SIEMSEN, 10. Kylie LEDBROOK, 13. Georgia YEOMAN-DALE, 17. Sydney MIRAMONTEZ, 19. Leena KHAMIS, 20. Caitlin JARVIE (15. Talitha KRAMER 86’).
Subs not used: 30. Nicole SIMONSEN (GK), 16. Liana DANASKOS, 21. Mackenzie HAWKESBY.
Yellow Cards: Jarvie 32’, Cooper 61’.
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Marconi Stadium
Referee: Lara Lee.