Sydney FC 4 (Ninkovic 43’, Caceres 64’, Le Fondre 66’, Barbarouses pen 87’) def. Melbourne Victory 1 (Rojas 4’)
Sydney FC have defeated Melbourne Victory 4-1 at Marvel Stadium to record their third win in the #BigBlue this season and move 13 points clear at the top of the Hyundai A-League.
Moments That Mattered:
- Rojas Goal – 4’ – Rojas drives forward and scores an early goal.
- Ninkovic Goal – 43’ – Rhyan Grant plays a great ball to Le Fondre who challenges and the second ball is picked up by Barbarouses. Kosta squares it to Milos who deceives the defender with one touch and passes it into the net.
- Le Fondre Chance – 45’ + 2’ - Retre’s ball to Grant is headed back across the area and the Victory defender plays it into the path of Le Fondre who reacts brilliantly, but he can only push it over the bar.
- Ninkovic Header – 55’ - The Serbian plays the ball out wide to Grant who crosses it back to Ninkovic and his goal-bound header is saved by the legs of Thomas.
- Caceres Goal – 64’ – Caceres picks up the ball, runs with it and delightfully puts it beyond Thomas off the far post.
- Le Fondre Goal – 66’ – Grant defends a ball in the penalty area and receives a fantastic pass from Caceres. The full back drives forward and feeds Le Fondre who subtly lifts the ball over Thomas.
- Hoogland Sent Off - 85’ – Trent Buhagiar runs through on goal to a goal-scoring position and is barged over by Hoogland who is sent off and a penalty is conceded.
- Barbarouses Goal – 87’ – Barbarouses steps up and converts the penalty.
What They Said:
Head Coach Steve Corica: "We had a busy week but definitely dominated the game and outstanding character by the boys.
"We freshened a few bodies up on Wednesday and they came into the team and it showed in the performance. I’m very proud of the boys, it’s a difficult place to come and to put on four goals was superb.
"I’ve always said this side is something special and I want to keep improving. We focus now on wrapping up the Premiership as soon as possible."
Adam Le Fondre: “We really grew into the game and Brattsy and Paulo dominated it from there.
“We got into good positions with the tens and me and Kosta getting in behind a bit more.”
Anthony Caceres – “I’m very happy with the goal and to do that with my left foot was great.
“Goals contribute to the success of the team and I think my general play has been good but it’s always good to contribute on the scoresheet as well."
Sydney FC have shown their class to defeat Melbourne Victory 4-1 in the Big Blue with goals from their front four.
Milos Ninkovic, Anthony Caceres, Adam Le Fondre and Kosta Barbarouses all found the scoresheet after Melbourne had taken the lead early on.
The Sky Blues now move 13 points clear at the top of the ladder with a game in hand on their nearest opponents.
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. Adam Le FONDRE (12. Trent BUHAGIAR 84’), 10. Milos NINKOVIC (24. Marco TILIO 90’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN (5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN 88’).
Subs Not Used: 20. Tom HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 3. Ben WARLAND, 21. Harry Van Der SAAG.
Yellow Cards: Barbarouses 78’
Red Cards: None
Melbourne Victory: 20. Lawrence THOMAS (GK), 2. Storm ROUX, 4. Mal DONACHIE, 5. Tim HOOGLAND, 6. Leigh BROXHAM (LESIOTIS 77’), 9. Andrew NABBOUT, 11. Ola TOIVONEN, 15. Giancarlo GALLIFUOCO, 17. Elvis KAMSOBA, 18. Migjen BASHA, 23. Marco ROJAS (7. Kenny ATHIU 75’).
Subs Not Used: 1. Matt ACTON (GK), 19. Ben CARRIGAN, 25. Brandon LAUTON.
Yellow Cards: Rojas 56’, Gallifuoco 57’, Nabbout 60’.
Red Cards: Hoogland 85’.
Ground: Marvel Stadium
Referee: Shaun Evans