Sydney FC 2 (Ninkovic 63’, Wilkinson 79’) def Newcastle Jets 1 (Prso 21’)
Sydney FC have completed a second half comeback to move into third place on the A-League ladder thanks to goals from Milos Ninkovic and a first Sydney FC A-League goal from Alex Wilkinson.
Moments that Mattered:
- IVANOVIC CHANCE – 4’ - Luke Ivanovic played in behind by Kosta Barbarouses, but under pressure slots the ball just wide.
- BRATTAN CHANCE – 19’ - Brattan steps up to blast the free kick low at goal forcing a save from Duncan.
- PRSO GOAL - 21’ – Prso intercepts Andrew Redmayne’s pass and slots the ball in the bottom left corner.
- BARBAROUSES CHANCE – 47’ – Kosta chases down a misplaced pass but is dispossessed by a sliding challenge from John Koutroumbis just before placing the ball into an empty net.
- NINKOVIĆ GOAL – 63’ - Patrick Wood drives forward down the middle of the park and plays in Kosta on the edge of the box who slots it into the bottom right corner.
- WOOD CHANCE – 70’ – Barbarouses holds up the ball and plays in Wood who cuts inside and shoots, but it’s straight at Duncan.
- WILKINSON GOAL – 79’ - Wilkinson gets his head on a Luke Brattan corner bouncing the ball into the top of the net.
Sydney FC have fought back from a goal down to defeat the Newcastle Jets 2-1 and move third on the ladder.
A close first half saw Sydney FC have the majority of chances, however a misplaced Andrew Redmayne pass was jumped on by Luke Prso who slotted the ball home against the run of play.
A triple substitution saw a shift of momentum as the Sky Blues began to create problems for the Newcastle defence and substitutes Patrick Wood and Miloš Ninkovič combined to level the scores midway through the second half.
Sydney FC Captain Alex Wilkinson got his head to a Luke Brattan corner at the back post to complete the comeback with 11 minutes remaining.
What they said: Steve Corica: “I’ve got great belief in these players, obviously I didn’t want to concede the way we did in the first half.
“The plan was to always bring on Ninko and Bobô in the second half, and I thought Patrick Wood was excellent when he came on.
“Other than the goal we conceded, I can’t remember any clear-cut chances from them. I thought we defended well and created some good chances.
“Overall I’m very pleased with the three points, but I think it shows a very good team to come back like that, mentally and physically. After a short turn around the boys showed good character.
“At half time I just made sure we did our jobs. I said don’t panic, once we get one goal the second one will come.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN (10. Milos NINKOVIC 52’), 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (33. Patrick WOOD 52’), 16. Joel KING, 17 Anthony CACERES (21. VAN DER SAAG 72’), 18. Luke IVANOVIC (9. BOBÔ 52’), 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs: 20. Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 3. Benjamin WARLAND, 28. Calem NIEUWENHOF.
Yellow Cards: Retre 47’.
Red Cards: None
Newcastle Jets: 23. Jack DUNCAN (GK), 2. John KOUTROUMBIS, 4. Nigel BOOGARD, 6. Steven UGARKOVIC, 9. Roy O’DONOVAN (15. Tete YENGI 77’), 16. Matthew MILLAR, 21. Luka PRSO (17. Kuach YUEL 62’), 24. Connor O’TOOLE, 32. Angus THURGATE (8. Liridon KRASNIQI 85’), 33. Apostolos STAMATELOPOULOS, 44. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY
Subs: 1. Lewis ITALIANO (GK), 14. Ali ABBAS, 22. Lachlan JACKSON, 27. Lucas MAURAGIS.
Yellow Cards: Topor-Stanley 50’.
Red Cards: None
Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
Referee: Ben Abrahams