Sydney FC 3 (Calver 1’, Le Fondre 77’, De Jong 89’) def. Brisbane Roar 1 (Bautheac 67’)
An inspired double change was the difference as Sydney FC knocked off Brisbane 3-1 away from home to draw closer to league leaders Perth.
Moments That Mattered:
1. Calver Goal – 1’ – A lighting start as O’Neill’s cross is met by an unmarked Calver whose header smacks the underside of the bar and in.
2. Brosque Chance 30’ – A cheeky backheel goes just wide after great interplay between Ninkovic and Zullo in the lead up.
3. Brosque 62’ – Ninkovic slips a intricate ball into Brosque who attempts to beat Young at the near post but his effort is just tipped away.
4. Bautheac Goal 67’ – D’Agostino delivers a call into the centre to find Bautheac who taps home from close range.
5. Le Fondre Goal 77’ – An impact from subs Gucci and De Jong lead to a tap in for the Englishman to retake the lead.
6. De Jong Goal 89’ – The returning Dutchman is forced wide and slips the ball inside the near post to complete the win.
The Sky Blues got off to the perfect start, taking the lead within the first minute of play courtesy of a thumping headed goal from Calver.
A dominant remainder of the half ensued with Brisbane camped in their 18 yard box for large portions of play.
Brosque came closest to doubling the lead around the half hour mark, dragging his backheel just wide as Corica’s men took a one goal lead into the sheds.
The second half saw much of the same until a double change injected life into the home side as Bautheac finished from close range following a D’Agostino cross.
With a counter spark needed, Corica looked to the bench with attacking duo De Jong and Ghoochannejhad thrown into the fray for which would prove pivotal.
Ghoochannejhad and De Jong were instrumental in the lead up to the side’s second of the night as the latter’s effort struck the post and popped into the path of Le Fondre to finish for his 15th of the campaign.
The Dutchman would make no mistake with his second effort on goal, dragging Jamie Young well wide and finishing from a near impossible angle.
The win ensures second spot is retained this week before playing arch rivals Melbourne in the Big Blue at the SCG on Saturday.
What they said:
Head Coach Steve Corica
“I thought first half we played really well and kept the ball for large periods of time, needed more penetration in the second.
“There were points when they had five at the back and were hard to break down but we have quality.
“Very good to have Siem coming back and scoring and to have players like him and others coming back at this time of the season for the run in is great for us.”
“I said many times it has been difficult with players out. With Siem and Reza coming off the bench, we have an unbelievable squad.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 2. Aaron CALVER, 4. Alex WILKINSON, 7. Michael ZULLO, 8. Paulo RETRE (6. Josh BRILLANTE 59’), 9. Adam Le FONDRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 13. Brandon O’NEIL, 14. Alex BROSQUE (16. Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD 70’), 17. Anthony CACERES (22. Siem De JONG 73’), 23. Rhyan GRANT.
Subs Not Used: Alex CISAK (GK), 11. Daniel DE SILVA.
Yellow Cards: 7. ZULLO 50’, 23. GRANT 69’.
Red Cards: None.
Brisbane Roar: 21. Jamie YOUNG (GK), 7. Thomas KRISTENSEN, 8. Jacob PEPPER, 11. Eric BAUTHEAC, 12. Ruon TONGYIK, 14. Alejandro Lopez SANCHEZ, 15. Stefan NIGRO, 17. Matthew McKAY, 23. Dylan WENZEL HALLS, 36. Daniel LECK (16. Charles LOKOLINGOY 88’), 92. Eli BABALJ (26. Nicholas d’AGOSTINO 65’) 33. HENRIQUE (65’)
Subs not used: 1. Brendan WHITE (GK), 32. Zachary DUNCAN.
Yellow Cards: 23. Dylan WENZEL HALLS 48’
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Suncorp Stadium
Referee: Stephen Lucas