Sydney FC 1 (Barbarouses (pen.) 63’) drew with Western Sydney Wanderers FC 1 (Troisi 68’)
Sydney FC have drawn with their arch rivals Western Sydney Wanderers FC 1-1 in a tight and tense affair at ANZ Stadium.
Moments That Mattered:
1. BARBAROUSES CHANCE - 3' - Ninkovic stands up the the Western Sydney defence and plays in Barbarouses whose close range snap shot is pushed away at the last by Margush.
2. BUHAGIAR CHANCE - 4’ - Chances in quick succession as Buhagiar sees another close range effort palm away and cleared.
3. RETRE CLEARANCE - 12’ - A Western Sydney corner results in a short goal mouth scramble with Retre clearing the ball off the line.
4. BUHAGIAR OFF THE POST - 30’ - Some lovely hold up and interplay leads to the pacy forward slipping in behind to unleash a thunderous near post effort that rockets off the post.
5. BARBAROUSES GOAL - 63’ - A promising Sky Blue attack is broken up illegally by Troisi who obstructs a Ninkovic run and a penalty is awarded. Barbarouses steps up and coolly slots the ball to his right into the net.
6. TROISI GOAL - 68’ - Troisi levels the derby, finishing from close range after being found with a cutback in the box.
Sydney FC looked to make a quick fire start in the season’s first derby encounter as chances fell to both forwards in Barbarouses and Buhagiar, but they were just denied by a resolute Western Sydney defence.
Buhagiar came close on 30 minutes with a blistering strike from inside the box which cannoned off the post.
The Sky Blues continued to control the proceedings and were rewarded just after the hour when Troisi stepped across the path of an advancing Ninkovic with the official awarding a penalty.
Barbarouses stepped up and calmly slotted the ball past Margush who dove the wrong way, sending Head Coach Steve Corica’s men into a deserved lead.
It was to be short lived however as Troisi amended for his mistake at the opposite end, finishing a cut back to square the ledger in an intensifying Sydney Derby.
Each side pressed in search of a break away goal but it wasn’t to be as the Sydney Derby ended all square in a tight and tense affair.
Sydney FC now turn their attention to an inform Central Coast Mariners at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium next Friday night.
What they said:
Steve Corica: “I think in the first half we had the better chances. We should have been up early on in the game, we had two or three very good chances when we could have scored.
“Their goal was disappointing I think we could have defended that better.
“We want momentum and to be playing games each week hopefully that will come very soon.
“With the chances we had we probably deserved three.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3. Ben WARLAND, 4. Alex WILKINSON, 8. Paulo RETRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC (19. Chris ZUVELA 89’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (33. Patrick WOOD 83’), 12. Trent BUHAGIAR (18. Luke IVANOVIC 75’), 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES (5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN 75’), 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs: 20. Tom HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 21. Harry Van Der SAAG.
Yellow Cards: 26. Luke BRATTAN 71'.
Red Cards: None.
Western Sydney Wanderers FC: 30. Daniel MARGUSH (GK), 2. Ziggy GORDON, 4. Dylan McGOWAN, 6. Tass MOURDOUKOUTAS, 10. Simon COX (11. Kwame YEBOAH 76’), 13. Tate RUSSELL, 14. James TROISI (8. Jordan O’DOHERTY 89’), 17. Keanu BACCUS, 18. Graham DORRANS, 27. Nicolai MULLER (9. Bernie IBINI 70’), 39. Thomas AQUILINA.
Subs: 40. Noah JAMES (GK), 5. Daniel GEORGIEVSKI, 33. Mark NATTA, 38. Ali AUGLAH.
Yellow Cards: 6. Tass MOURDOUKOUTAS 7’, 4. Dylan McGOWAN 41'.
Red Cards: None.
Venue: Stadium Australia
Referee: Alex King