Sydney FC 1 (Ivanovic 40') drew with Brisbane Roar (Wenzel-Halls 11')
A superb Luke Ivanovic strike in the first half ensured a point for Sydney FC, who were unlucky to not take maximum points in a 1-1 draw against an in-form Brisbane Roar.
Moments That Mattered:
1. BARBAROUSES CHANCE - 5’ – Baumjohann bends a ball around the Roar defence for Barbarouses who cuts twice before unleashing a shot which is deflected and just tipped away by Young.
2. WENZEL-HALLS GOAL - 11’ - Wenzel-Halls opens the scoring for Brisbane with a one on one finish after being slipped through by O’Shea
3. FLOTTMANN BLOCK - 13’ - Flottmann denies a quick fire double for Brisbane’s Wenzel-Halls with a goal saving block that deflects the ball just away from goal.
4. REDMAYNE SAVE - 35’ - Brisbane look to break quickly from a Sydney FC corner but Redmayne denies him with a strong palm to his right to keep the deficit at one.
5. IVANOVIC CHANCE - 37’ - An mazy and silky smooth run from Ivanovic sees him beat four Roar players before hitting the side of the near post.
6. IVANOVIC GOAL - 40’ - Ivanovic restores parity with an unbelievable shot just inside the box which creeps just inside the right post, leaving Young completely stranded.
7. BRATTAN CHANCE - 49’ - Brattan blasts a free kick Young’s way which requires a strong palm away from goal to prevent a Sky Blue lead.
8. NINKOVIC CHANCE- 61’ - Ninkovic finds himself in space around the edge of the ‘D’ before taking a touch inside and letting go a thundering shot towards goal which is met by two strong Young gloves to deny the Maestro.
9. BAUMJOHANN CHANCE - 73’ - The Sky Blues silkily shift the ball from left to right for Baumjohann to bend a shot towards goal which is tipped into the path of Ninkovic who unselfishly squares to the German again but Young makes another remarkable save.
10. REDMAYNE SAVE - 89’ - Ingham springs forward and creates space to fire from distance but Redmayne is up to the task, smothering the ball to safety.
The Sky Blues had to fight from a goal behind early in the contest with Brisbane Roar drawing first blood just after the ten minute mark. O’Shea’s through ball following a quick throw-in was dinked over an advancing Redmayne by Wenzel-Halls.
Brisbane buoyed by their lead continued in search for their second but were met by some resolute defending from the Premiers who played their way back into the contest.
The tide began to turn closer to the end of the first half and Sydney FC were duly rewarded, restoring parity in the contest via a wonder strike from Luke Ivanovic. The youngster stood up a Brisbane defender before bending the ball just inside the right hand upright.
Corica’s men continued in the same vein following the restart, looking the most likely to take the lead through thumping efforts from second half substitute Ninkovic and midfield main stay Brattan.
Despite a dominant second half showing, a goal wasn’t to be for the Sky Blues who had to content themselves with a point against a resolute Brisbane side.
Sydney FC will look to secure all three points in their last regular season encounter against Western United on Saturday night where they will have the honour of lifting their historic fourth Premiers Plate in front of the Sky Blues faithful.
What they said: Steve Corica:
“I think Jamie Young pulled off some very good saves and kept them in the game.
“We dominated the second half and we were much better but it was a very difficult conditions.
“I thought our goal was fantastic and it was a great finish from Luke. He took it really well.
“Our first half wasn’t great but in the second half we dominated with the ball and had more possession.
“We need to finish off our chances and we need to create more with the ball.
“However, it’s starting to come back and we’ve another massive game against Western United this weekend.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN (19. Chris ZUVELA 84’), 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE (17. Anthony CACERES 78’), 9. Adam Le FONDRE (12. Trent BUHAGIAR, 84’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 16. Joel KING, 18. Luke IVANOVIC (10. Milos NINKOVIC 45’), 21. Harry Van Der SAAG, 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs: 20. Tom HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 3. Ben WARLAND, 4. Alex WILKINSON.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Brisbane Roar: 21. Jamie YOUNG (GK), 3. Corey BROWN, 4. Daniel BOWLES, 5. Tom ALDRED (29. Jordan COURTNEY-PERKINS 78’), 6. Macauley GILLESPHEY, 8. Danny KIM (27. Kai TREWIN 78’), 12. Matthew RIDENTON (20. Aaron HOLLOWAY 54’), 19. Jack HINGERT, 23. Dylan WENZEL-HALLS (7. Jai INGHAM 81’), 26. Jay O’SHEA, 77. Scott McDONALD.
Subs: 1. Max CROCOMBE (GK), 2. Scott NEVILLE, 30. Mirza MURATOVIC.
Yellow Cards: 4. Daniel BOWLES 19'
Red Cards: None.
Ground: McDonald Jones Stadium
Referee: Stephen Lucas