Sydney FC 1 (Le Fondre 27’) def. by Adelaide United 2 (Goodwin 25’, 75’)
Sydney FC has been defeated 2-1 by Adelaide United in a game the Sky Blues dominated for long periods, with two excellent strikes from Craig Goodwin denying Steve Corica’s men the chance to record back to back FFA Cup titles.
Moments That Mattered:
- Goodwin goal - 25’ – Goodwin puts the ball top left direct from a freekick.
- Le Fondre goal - 27’ – After Brosque is brought down in the box, Le Fondre blasts it in from the spot.
- Grant chance – 38’ – Grant keeps Izzo on his toes as attempts to guide it into the top right.
- Ninkovic chance – 60’ – Brosque’s delicate backheel sets up Ninkovic to work the space for a low shot on target, but he is denied by an excellent save from Izzo.
- Le Fondre shot – 64’ – Ball sits nicely as the Englishman stings the palms of Izzo.
- Redmayne save – 66’ – Goodwin’s cross finds Ilso at the back post whose scrambled effort is saved at point black range from Redmayne.
- Brosque chance – 68’ – Lighting quick counter attack has the captain inches away from finding the net.
- Goodwin goal – 75’ – Goodwin grabs his second placing his volley into the top right.
- Zullo off the post – 90’ – Inches away from squaring the match as the ball ricochets off the post.
The home side struck first, largely against the run of play as Goodwin put the ball out of the reach of Redmayne from a free kick, following a foul from Grant on the edge of the box.
Adelaide’s joy was short lived as Brosque pounced on a defensive error to be brought down by Izzo in the box.
Le Fondre stepped up making no mistake to continue his record of scoring in all of his competitive Sky Blue appearances. This is how the sides would finish the half.
With both sides having their chances, Goodwin restored the lead finding the top right with a volley for his second of the night.
Zullo came as close as you can get to getting the game back to level terms, hitting the post from a corner just before added time but it wasn’t to be for Corica’s men.
The Sky Blues move their attention quickly back to A-League action as we take on Melbourne City away on Friday night.
What they said:
Steve Corica: “It’s tough to take. I believe we were the best team on the night and we dominated most things.
“The boys put in a wonderful effort and I’m proud of them.
“Congratulations to Adelaide, they fought very hard and it came down to their two good goals in the end.
“I’m just as disappointed as everyone, the fans, the players and the staff but it wasn’t to be and we’ll move on. There are another three trophies for us to win.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Jop Van Der LINDEN, 6. Joshua BRILLANTE (21. Charles LOKOLINGOY 81’), 7. Michael ZULLO, 8. Paulo RETRE (11. Danny De SILVA 76’), 9. Adam Le FONDRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 13. Brandon O’NEILL, 14. Alex BROSQUE, 23. Rhyan GRANT.
Subs Not Used: 20. Aleksander CISAK (GK), 2. Aaron CALVER, 24. Cameron DEVLIN
Yellow Cards: 7. Michael ZULLO 35’, 13. Brandon O’NEILL 53’, 14. Alex BROSQUE 68’
Red Cards: None.
Adelaide United: 20. Paul IZZO (GK), 2. Michael MARRONE, 3. Scott GALLOWAY, 4. Ryan STRAIN, 6. Vince LIA (10. Ken ILSO 64’), 8. ISAIAS, 11. Craig GOODWIN (17. Nikola MILEUSNIC 90+1’), 22. Michael JAKOBSEN, 23. Jordan ELSEY, 26. Ben HALLORAN, 31. Mirko BOLLAND.
Subs not used: 30. Isaac RICHARDS (GK), 5. Taylor REGAN, Nathan KONSTANDOPOULOS.
Yellow Cards: 20. Paul IZZO (GK) 26’, 2. Michael MARRONE 35’, 8. ISAIAS 35’,
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Hindmarsh Stadium
Referee: Jared Gillett