Sydney FC 0 drew with Brisbane Roar 0
Sydney FC has played out a 0-0 draw against an in-form Brisbane Roar in a match they were unlucky to not claims all points from.
Moments That Mattered:
- NINKOVIC CHANCE - 26’ - Ninkovic tries his luck from range, going is close with his effort just being palmed away at the last by Young.
- NINKOVIC CHANCE - 41’ - Sydney FC look to hit on the counter with King breaking quickly and floating the ball to the back post for Ninkovic whose header goes narrowly wide.
- REDMAYNE SAVE - 49’ - Roar’s Gillesphey blasts a shot towards the Sky Blues net but Redmayne is up to the task, tipping the ball over for what would have been a certain goal.
- WOOD CHANCE - 51’ - The Sky Blues youngster gets played through on goal and attempts to find the net from a tight angle but Young’s legs get in the way.
- GRANT CHANCE - 61’ - Grant latches onto a stray ball in the box and goes agonisingly close to finding the opener as he smacks the bar from close range.
- GRANT AND BOBÔ CHANCES - 64’ - Grant again goes so close hitting the post this time before the ball is tee’d up for the returning Bobo who is just denied again but Young’s rapid legs.
Brisbane Roar looked to impose themselves early in the content, controlling possession but it was Sydney FC who had the best opportunities with Ninkovic twice being denied by Brisbane’s veteran custodian Young.
In the second half the Sky Blues took control of the game and the chances.
Socceroo Rhyan Grant came very close to an opener only to be denied twice by the post and bar, whilst Bobo almost made a perfect return if not for the positioning of Young’s legs denying the Brazilian’s downward header.
A breakthrough wasn’t to be as Head Coach Steve Corica’s side settled for a share of the points in a contest with plenty of chances.Sydney FC will look claim all three points in their A-League Grand Final replay against Melbourne City on Tuesday night at AAMI Park.
What they said: Steve Corica: “I think in the end we should have won it. The second half was a lot better.
“It was what I wanted, more attacking, more getting balls into the box, more forward runs, we pinned them in there quite a bit and hit the cross bar and the post.
“Bobô when he came on had a great header saved by Jaime Young. I was pleased overall.
“It’s good to get a game in and we have a short turnaround to play Melbourne City on Tuesday night so we need to rotate a bit.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE (26. Luke BRATTAN 60’), 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (27. Jordan SWIBEL 85’), 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES (5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN 60’), 23. Rhyan GRANT, 28. Calem NIEUWENHOF, 33. Patrick WOOD (9. BOBO 60’).
Subs: 20. Tomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN, 3. Benjamin WARLAND.
Yellow Cards: 23. Rhyan GRANT 53'
Red Cards: None.
Brisbane Roar: 21. Jamie YOUNG (GK), 3. Corey BROWN, 5. Thomas ALDRED, 6. Macaulay GILLESPHEY, 10. RIku DANZAKI (17. Golgol MEBRAHTU 62’), 19. Jack HNGERT, 23. Dylan WENZEL-HALLS (15. Jesse DALEY 77’), 25. Rahmet AKBARI (11. Joseph CHAMPNESS 77’), 26. James O’SHEA, 27. Kai TREWIN, 77. Scott McDONALD (16. Joshua BRINDELL-SOUTH 93’).
Subs: 1. Macklin REKE (GK).
Yellow Cards: 3. Corey BROWN 37’, 27. Kai TREWIN 66’, 15. Jess DALEY 83'
Red Cards: None.
Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Oval
Referee: Chris Beath