Sydney FC 1 (Carroll o.g 90+3’) def by. Perth Glory 2 (Andrews 41’ 58’)
Sydney FC were left frustrated by a tight Perth defensive line as they went down 2-1 at WIN Stadium in a game they had enough chances to win.
Moments That Mattered:
- Siemsen Chance – 27’ – Sayer slips one in behind the defence to Siemsen but her shot towards the near post flashes wide.
- Andrews Goal – 41’ – Andrews powers a free-kick into the top corner to give Perth the lead.
- Bledsoe Save – 46’ – Bledsoe is called into action immediately after the restart with a stop at close range to deny Thomas.
- Andrews Goal – 58’ – Perth doubled their advantage through Andrews again as her shot on the turn bundles past Bledsoe.
- Huerta Chance – 67’ – Some nice skill from Agnew up the left opens up space for Huerta to run onto goal but her angled shot towards the back post is saved.
- Latsko & Hawkesby Chances – 78’ – Latsko has her headed effort cleared off the line, then Hawkesby powers an effort goalwards on the volley but it’s tipped over by Campbell.
- Carroll Own Goal – 90+3’ – The Sky Blues pull one back when Huerta’s curled cross deflects off Carroll’s foot and sneaks into the bottom corner.
Sydney FC had the chance to go in-front when Siemsen shot wide midway through the half but then found themselves undeservedly behind following a perfect free-kick by Andrews.
Bledsoe was forced into a miraculous reflex save to deny Thomas early on in the second half but couldn’t keep out Andrews as Perth doubled their lead shortly after.
Sydney FC continued their dominance as chances from Huerta, Latsko and Hawkesby from close range were denied by the compact Glory defence.
Huerta then forced an own goal visitors but it was too little too late for the Sky Blues who are forced to wait another week to secure a home semi-final.
What They Said: Ante Juric: “[On the home semi-final] I think it’s very important. It was on the board here again because it makes a huge difference to play in front of our home supporters.
“[On playing in Wollongong] We always enjoy coming down here in terms of the atmosphere and the ground. We don’t get good results here unfortunately but everything else it’s great and it’s a great community.”
Sydney FC: 1. Aubrey BLEDSOE, 2. Teresa POLIAS (12. Natalie TOBIN 74’), 7. Ellie BRUSH, 8. Lindsay AGNEW, 10. Remy SIEMSEN (20. Princess IBINI-ISEI 55’), 11. Sofia HUERTA, 13. Veronica LATSKO, 14. Alanna KENNEDY, 17. Angelique HRISTODOULOU, 18. Taylor RAY (15. Mackenzie HAWKESBY 64’), 19. Amy SAYER.
Subs Not Used: 30. Trudy BURKE.
Yellow Cards: Ellie Brush 40’, Princess Ibini-Isei 89’,
Perth Glory: 1. Eliza CAMPBELL, 3. Kim CARROLL, 5. Shannon MAY (16. Isabella WALLHEAD 87’), 6. Arianna ROMERO, 7. Celia JIMENEZ DELGADO, 8. Morgan ANDREWS, 9. Crystal THOMAS, 13. Jamie-Lee GALE, 14. Caitlin DOEGLAS (4. Ayesha NORRIE 66’), 19. Hana LOWRY (11. Leticia MCKENNA 21’), 24. Natasha RIGBY.
Subs Not Used: 21. Morgan AQUINO (GK)
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Referee: Kelly Jones
Ground: WIN Stadium