Sydney FC 1 (Huerta 40’) def. by Melbourne City 2 (Van Egmond 3’, Mijatovic 76’)
Sydney FC have gone down 2-1 to a late strike in a close game against a star studded Melbourne City side at Cromer Park.
Moments That Mattered:
- Van Egmond Goal – 3’ – A quick break from City after a Sydney FC corner sees Mijatovic feed van Egmond inside the box and the Matilda calmly strokes home.
- Ibini Chance – 4’ – Sydney FC almost equalise straight away with Logarzo playing in Siemsen to shoot but the shot is blocked and falls to Ibini who blazes over.
- Ibini Chance – 8’ – Ibini is causing all sorts of problems for the City defence as she latches onto a through ball, beats a tackle and tries to lift the ball over the keeper but Williams just manages to deflect the ball behind.
- Bledsoe Save - 13’ – Emslie twists and turns just inside the box and fires in a shot but Bledsoe is well placed to gather.
- Emslie Off The Post – 18’ – Kinga plays a ball through to Emslie who gets a shin to it but can only guide it onto the post and it’s cleared.
- Huerta Goal – 40’ – Logarzo threads a ball through to Huerta inside the box and once the American gets the ball under control she coolly slots it underneath Williams.
- Bledsoe Save – 69’ – A lost ball by Sydney FC in their own half gives City a player advantage but when the ball falls to Catley on the penalty spot Bledsoe makes a great save with her legs.
- Mijatovic Goal – 76’ – A cross from the City right falls in the box at the feet of Mijatovic who blasts home from 15 yards.
- Evans Chance – 87’ – A scramble from a ball into the area eventually falls to substitute Evans who fires over.
Sydney FC have succumbed to a late strike from Serbian international Milica Mijatovic in a close game in which the Sky Blues had chances to win it.
Visitors City took and early lead when Emily van Egmond slotted home following a break away.
Princess Ibini had chances to equalise while at the other end Emslie hit the post before US import Sofia Huerta found the net for the Sky Blues just before the half time interval.
Both teams went searching for the goal that would provide the winner in the second half and it was City who managed it with Mijatovic who thumped the ball home from a cross.
A late chance fell to Shay Evans but she could only hit her shot over and the Sky Blues turn their attentions to next weekend’s clash away to Newcastle Jets.
What They Said: Ante Juric:
“I thought it was a weird game.
“We dominated the first 15 and they scored, then we scored when they were dominating and it was a bit of up and down.
“We’re short of a few players but City are jam packed with internationals and we knew it was going to be a hard game.
“We didn’t play our best but it’s pleasing that we didn’t play at our best but we could have got something out of it.
“Against a weaker team we might have won 5-0.
“It’s great for the girls to have a crowd like this, it’s good for the community and we’re looking forward to being back here.”
Sydney FC: 1. Aubrey BLEDSOE, 2. Teresa POLIAS, 5. Ally GREEN, 7. Ellie BRUSH, 9. Caitlin FOORD, 10. Remy SIEMSEN (3. Shadeene EVANS 77’), 11. Sofia HUERTA, 12. Natalie TOBIN (14. Alanna KENNEDY 45’), 17. Angelique HRISTODOULOU, 20. Princess IBINI-ISEI.
Subs Not Used: 30. Trudy BURKE (GK), 15. Mackenzie HAWKESBY.
Yellow Cards None.
Red Cards: None.
Melbourne City: 1. Lydia WILLIAMS, 2. Yukari KINGA, 3. Lauren BARNES, 7. Stephanie CATELY, 9. Claire EMSLIE, 10. Emily van EGMOND, 13. Rebekah STOTT, 15. Emma CHECKER, 17. Kyah SIMON (11. Rhali DOBSON 80’), 20. Milica MIJATOVIC, 21. Ellie CARPENTER.
Subs Not Used: 23. Melissa HUDSON (GK), 4. Chelsea BLISSETT, 16. Sofia SAKALIS.
Yellow Cards: Mijatovic 82’, Carpenter 86’,
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Cromer Park, Manly.
Referee: Rachel Michenson