Sydney FC 1 (De Silva 55’) def by Brisbane Roar 1 (Mikkelsen 77’, Wenzel-Halls 89’)
Two goals in the final fifteen minutes from the Brisbane Roar have cancelled out Danny De Silva’s earlier strike as Sydney FC suffered a 2-1 loss tonight at Suncorp Stadium.
Moments That Mattered:
1. Ninkovic Miss 20’ – The Sky Blues continued to create chances early, and some lovely build up play from Reza is shut down by the Roar keeper until the ball lands at the feet of Ninkovic, who sends it sailing over the bar from just a few metres out.
2. Woodwork Denies De Silva 23’ – Another chance forSydney FC in the early stages as Zullo sends a ball into the area and finds De Silva, who hits it from a tough angle and is denied by the post.
3. Back-to-Back Saves From White 35’ – Reza and Le Fondre continued to look promising as they settled into the first half and both had opportunities on goal, but were denied by the young Roar keeper with two fantastic stops.
4. De Silva Goal 55’ – Reza and Ninko continue to create opportunities for the Sky Blues, before a Le Fondre shotfrom the edge of the area is parried away by the Roar keeper and buried from close range by De Silva to give the away side the lead.
5. Warland Clearance 70’ – The home side looked certain to get back on level terms, but a desperate intervention from Warland kept the Sky Blues in the lead heading into the final 20 minutes of the match.
6. Mikkelsen Goal 77’ – Nice footwork and vision from Taggart finds Mikkelsen who gets himself one-on-one with Redmayne inside the box and belts it into the back of the net to restore parity.
7. Wenzel-Halls Goal 89’ – A late goal from Wenzel-Hallsfrom outside of the box into the top corner gives the home side a come from behind victory against the Sky Blues.
Sydney FC have tonight gone down 2-1 to Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium after an equaliser from Tobias Mikkelsen and a late winner from Dylan Wenzell-Halls gave the hosts a come from behind victory.
Both sides were able to create plenty of chances throughout the opening 45 minutes, but neither the Sky Blues or their opponents could break the deadlock before heading into the halftime break.
Milos Ninkovic and Danny De Silva both found themselves in goalscoring positions within three minutes of each other, but neither player was able to find the back of the net despite some quality build up.
Reza Ghoochannejhad looked dangerous in the first half of his club debut, and was denied by a quality save from the Brisbane goalkeeper Brendan White in the 35th minute, just moments after he stopped an Adam Le Fondre shot from close range.
Sydney FC were able to take the lead in the 55th minute after a shot from Le Fondre just inside the area was punched away by the Roar keeper but fortunately landed at the feet of De Silva who made no mistake and buried it into the top right corner from close range.
The hosts hit back with less than 15 minutes remain in the contest through Tobias Mikkelsen, before a lovely strike from Dylan Wenzell-Halls in the 89th minute gave the Roar the upset victory.
The Sky Blues dominated large portions of the contest but were unable to found the back of the net on multiple occasions and will likely look back on some missed opportunities in the first half.
Sydney FC will remain in 3rd spot and now look to next Sunday’s clash with Central Coast Mariners at our new home of Leichhardt Oval, with kick off at 5pm.
What They Said:
Brandon O’Neill: “It’s pretty disappointing. We dominated large portions of the match but fair credit to Wenzell-Halls for a great strike. We will lick our wounds and look to bounce back next week.
“We’ll be stronger next weekend and anything is possible with nine games left, a Champions League campaign and finals football in our future.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK) 3. Ben WARLAND 4. Alex WILKINSON © 6. Josh BRILLANTE 7. Michael ZULLO 9. Adam LE FONDRE 10. Milos NINKOVIC (21. Mitch AUSTIN 87’) 11. Daniel DE SILVA (17. Anthony CACERES 74’) 13. Brandon O’NEILL 16. Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD (14. Alex BROSQUE 74’) 23. Rhyan GRANT
SUBS NOT USED: 2. Aaron CALVER 20. Alex CISAK (GK)
Yellow Cards: Warland 33’, Ninkovic 52’, O’Neill 85’
Red Cards: None.
Brisbane Roar: 1. Brendan WHITE (GK) 3. Luke DE VERE(18. Joe CALETTI 11’) 8. Jacob PEPPER 9. Adam TAGGART 11. Eric BAUTHEAC (22. Tobias MIKKELSEN59’) 14. Alex LOPEZ 15. Stefan NIGRO 17. Matt MCKAY ©19. Jack HINGERT (38. Izaack POWELL 30’) 23. Dylan WENZEL-HALLS 33. HENRIQUE
SUBS NOT USED: 26. Nicholas D’AGOSTINO 31. MacklinFREKE (GK)
Yellow Cards: De Vere 1’, Lopez 64’, Pepper 94’
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Suncorp Stadium
Referee: Jonathan Barreiro