Sydney FC def. Brisbane Roar 2 (Mauk 42’, O’Shea 46’)
Sydney FC has fallen to Brisbane Roar in the Round of 32 of the FFA Cup at Leichhardt Oval after an excellent display from Roar goalkeeper Jamie Young kept them at bay.
Moments That Mattered:
- Le Fondre Chance - 14’ – A dangerous ball in from Grant on the right leads to a goalmouth scramble, almost leading to Le Fondre opening the scoring.
- Mauk Goal – 42’ – A couple of fortuitous deflections has the ball fall at the Roar midfields feet and his shot takes a deflection which sees the ball loop over goalkeeper Redmayne.
- Redmayne Save – 45’ – Redders produces a world-class stop to deny a certain goal from a firm header at the back post for Roar.
- O’Shea Goal 47’ – A driven ball to the edge of the box is pounced on by O’Shea and thumped home to double the visitors advantage
- Le Fondre Chance 52’ – Baumjohann is played through and drags two defenders before sliding it across for Alfie but his effort is well saved byy Young.
- Barbarouses Chance – 75’ – A ball pops loose and sits for Kosta to strike with venom but Young gets a fingertip to push the ball around the post.
- Redmayne Save – 76’ – Redders with a superb diving save to the top right of the goal.
- Le Fondre Chance 90+2’ – Alfie turns a Roar defender loose to let go from just inside the box. His stinging effort is just parried away by Young.
- Le Fondre Chance 90+5’ – Le Fondre’s close range effort is saved on the line by the legs of goalkeeper Young and cleared away.
It was a tight and tense first competitive half for the Sky Blues against a Roar team who set out to make it hard for Sydney FC playing five at the back.
Nevertheless the Sydney FC forward line pressed on and created a number of half chances with Le Fondre and Barbarouses looking dangerous and Baumjohann pulling the strings in midfield.
However it was the visitors who took the lead late in the first half courtesy of Mauk as his deflected shot wrong footed Redmayne, looping over the Sydney FC keeper.
Roar, buoyed by their late flurry doubled their advantage shortly after the restart through O’Shea as his near post shot found the roof of the net.
Le Fondre and new man Barbarouses had a number of more clear cut chances fall their way in the second half and were desperately unlucky not to get their names on the scoresheet.
Corica’s men fought on right to the end of the second stanza, coming close on a number of occasions but it proved not to be the Sky Blues night.
The side will be back in action on Wednesday night as we play Wollongong Wolves in a friendly match at WIN Stadium.
What they said: Steve Corica: “We started a bit slow in the first half and Brisbane came out with a lot of physical intent so we will know more about them next time.
“I thought we were a lot better in the second half and created a lot of chances but their keeper made some good saves and it wasn’t to be our night.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN, 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 9. Adam Le FONDRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC (8. Paulo RETRE 59’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 13. Brandon O’NEILL, 16. Joel KING (7. Michael ZULLO 62’), 17. Anthony CACERES, 23. Rhyan GRANT (26. Luke BRATTAN 85’).
Subs Not Used: 20. Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 18. Luke IVANOVIC.
Yellow Cards: 8. Paulo RETRE – 67’.
Red Cards: None.
Brisbane Roar: 21. Jamie YOUNG (GK), 2. Scott NEVILLE, 5. Thomas ALDRED, 6. Macaulay GILLESPHEY (24. Connor O’TOOLE 74’), 9. Roy O’DONOVAN, 10. Bradden INMAN (14. George MELLS 78’), 13. Stefan MAUK (7. Jai INGHAM 90’), 22. Jake McGING, 25. Rahmat AKBARI, 26. James O’SHEA, 29. Jordan COURTNEY-PERKINS.
Subs not used: 1. Maxime CROCOMBE (GK), 15. Aaron REARDON.
Yellow Cards: 5. Thomas ALDRED – 28’, 21. Jamie YOUNG (GK) – 90+2’
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Leichhardt Oval
Referee: Katie Patterson