Sydney FC 3 (de Jong 3’, Le Fondre 32’, Brosque 84’) def. Shanghai SIPG 3 (Lyu 27’, Hai 37’, Elkeson 90’)
Sydney FC have been denied a memorable win over Asian powerhouse Shanghai SIPG after a late goal from Brazilian superstar Elkeson snatched a point for the Chinese Champions in an enthralling 3-3 draw at Jubilee Stadium.
Moments That Mattered:
- de Jong Goal – 3’ – Shanghai clear only as far as de Jong who see’s his close range deflected effort hit the back of the net.
- Oscar Chance – 18’ - The Brazilian international is through on goal but his chipped effort is placed over after great pressure from Redmayne and Wilkinson.
- Lyu Goal – 27’ – Shanghai restore parity after Oscar’s cross meets the glancing head of Lyu to creep inside the post.
- Le Fondre Goal – 31’ – Referee points to the spot following a handball. Le Fondre makes no mistake, thumping home from the spot.
- Yu Hai Goal – 37’ – Hulk’s curled cross meets the head of Yu Hai to glance his header past Redmayne.
- De Silva Chance – 39’ – Sydney FC almost immediately retake the lead as Le Fondre’s shot cannons off the Sky Blues winger and onto the post.
- de Jong Chance – 41’ – Brilliant interplay leads to de Jong’s curling effort going agonisingly just wide.
- Redmayne Save - 43’ – A teasing cross is goal ward before Remayne dives to his left to keep the sides level.
- Redmayne Save - 44’ – Diving to his right this time, Redmayne parries away Elkeson’s stinging volley.
- Ghoochannedjhad Chance – 65’ – Gucci latches onto a deep cross from the right but his stretching effort is pushed wide and cleared.
- Brosque Goal – 83’ – Le Fondre stabs the ball to the back post for Gucci who’s header is parried straight into the path of Brosque who taps it in.
- Elkeson Goal – 90’ – Shanghai’s forward bangs home to bring the scores level once again.
Sydney FC continued their recent great early starts to the game with de Jong opening what would be a goal feast in the third minute.
A crazy ten minute period ensued near the midway point of the half with Lyu and Hai’s goals for Shanghai sandwiching Le Fondre’s thumping spot kick, after the visitors were adjudged to have handled the ball in the box.
Whilst the goalmouth action slowed for the majority of the second, the entertainment was on show throughout.
Corica’s men thought they had won it when substitute Brosque popped up to finish from close in after some great work from Le Fondre in the lead up.
Unfortunately this wasn’t to be as Elkeson denied what would have been a deserved three points after Shanghai countered in the 90th minute.
The lads will be back in action on Saturday night against crosstown rivals Western Sydney as they look to chase down Perth for an unprecedented third consecutive Premiers Plate.
What they said:
Steve Corica: "I think we proved a lot of people wrong. We put a great performance on for our home crowd, we played well, we scored goals, we conceded too many but for the fans it was a great game. I'm very pleased with the performance and really in our 2 home games we should have picked up more points than we have but we played outstandingly well. "
"I'm very proud of the boys’ performance, their efforts were sensational and I'm disappointed with the point but really pleased the performance."
"It's always tough [in the AFC Champions League]. They're good quality teams but we're one point better off than what we were last year so we've got a chance especially if the next game goes to a draw. We’ve got another home game which we need to win and we need to pick up points now away from home."
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 2. Aaron CALVER, 4. Alex WILKINSON, 6. Josh BRILLANTE, 7. Michael ZULLO (8. Paulo RETRE 65’), 9. Adam LeFONDRE, 11. Daniel De SILVA (14. Alex BROSQUE 82’), 13. Brandon O’NEILL, 16. Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD, 22. Siem de JONG (10. Milos NINKOVIC 65’)
Subs Not Used: 20. CISAK, 17. Anthony CACERES, 18. Jacob TRATT, 21. Mitch AUSTIN
Yellow Cards: None
Red Cards: None.
Shanghai SIPG: 1. Yan JUNLING, 2. Zhang WEI, 8. OSCAR, 9. ELKESON, 10. HULK, 11. Lu WENJUN, 13. Wei ZHEN, 15. Lin CHUANGYI (6. Cai HUIKANG 72’), 21. Yu HAI, 25. Odil AKHMEDOV (18. Zhang YI 77’), 28. He GUAN.
Subs not used: 22. Sun LE, 14. Li SHENGLONG, 23. Fu HUAN, 24. Lei WENJIE, 37. Chen BINBIN.
Yellow Cards: 21. Yu Hai 22’, 11. Lu WENJUN 42’
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Jubilee Stadium
Referee: Alireza Faghani (Iran)