NSW Premier League Round 12 Review

Another weekend of wet weather across the state saw only four of the six NSW Premier League Round 12 fixtures completed.

Another weekend of wet weather across the state saw only four of the six NSW Premier League Round 12 fixtures completed.

The Sunday matches set for Cromer Park (Manly United v Sydney United) and Lambert Park (A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt Tigers v Rockdale City Suns) were both cancelled with Football NSW to announce when these matches will be played over the coming week.

Elsewhere on Sunday afternoon Blacktown City FC continued their positive run of late with a very important 1-0 win over second-placed Sutherland Sharks. In a difficult match for both sides due to the strong wind and rain throughout the encounter, Blacktown City managed to hold off the first-half challenge of the Sharks and find the match winning goal in the 76- minute. Somewhat fortuitously for the way the ball crossed the line - Luke Roodenburg-s header wasn-t completely dealt with by Nathan Denham, and with Hayden Morten attempting to clear the ball away, the ball somehow finished in the back of the net - the home side should have put the result beyond reach with late chances falling to Luke Roodenburg. The captain was denied on both occasions by Sharks goalkeeper Nathan Denham.

At Belmore Sports Ground, Sydney Olympic collected three-points in their first home match of the League season with a very hard fought win over South Coast Wolves.

Chris Triantis was fouled early on in the encounter by Jack Keating inside the penalty-area and the referee had no choice but to award a penalty. Experienced midfielder Phil Makrys stepped up to the spot and coolly slotted the ball into the back of the net.

Despite Sydney Olympic dominating possession, South Coast Wolves found their equaliser in the 24- minute via Mark Picciolini. Keating made amends for conceding the penalty as he played a neat one-two with Jake Duczynski before crossing into the path of Picciolini who headed home past Paul Henderson.

Will Angel and Todd Bamber teamed up on the hour mark inside the penalty-area for the latter to convert from close-range and secure the Blues- their first win in the League at home this season.

On Saturday evening, Bonnyrigg White Eagles continued their positive run with a win at home against Parramatta FC, even though the side left it very late to overcome the bottom placed Eagles.

The task at hand for Brian Brown-s men was made very difficult with the referee sending Jared Lum off with a straight red card for a challenge on Kutaiba Elrich. Despite the numerical disadvantage the White Eagles were awarded a penalty ‘following Nicholas McInerney foul on Brad Boardman. The White Eagles- striker dusted himself off to take the spot-kick though was denied by a fine save by Tomislav Romic.

As the match seemed destined for a draw, a poor clearance by Parramatta FC-s Ben Jurman allowed Blake Powell to pounce and powerfully drive home to secure the win for Bonnyrigg in the 91- minute.

At Marconi Stadium, the Stallions fought hard for their three points in the 1-0 defeat of Bankstown City. Daniel Petkovski-s 38- minute goal proved the difference as he latched onto Nahuel Arrarte-s cross from the left-flank to divert the ball into the back of the net.

Bankstown City did create chances of their own to get back into the contest. Just before the break, Hussein Salameh delivered a ball from the right that crossed the entire face of goal before finishing over the goal line. The Stallions comfortably administered proceedings in the second-half and continued their fine run in the competition following a rather nervy start to the season.