Sydney FC 2 (Ninkovic 71’, Wood 90’) def by Melbourne City 3 (McLaren 7’, 54’, Luna 28’)
A late Sydney FC comeback in their first domestic A-League trip in almost a year was ultimately to no avail as Melbourne City held on for a win.
Moments That Mattered:
- MCLAREN GOAL - 7’ – Luna’s shot is deflected into the path of McLaren who finishes from six yards.
- REDMAYNE SAVE – 26’ – A shot from the edge of the box is well saved by Redmayne to his left.
- LUNA GOAL – 28’ – A cross from the left is flicked on and finished by Luna.
- BARBAROUSES OFF THE BAR – 40’ – McGowan feeds Barbarouses with a brilliant ball and his shot from the edge of the box under pressure is just off the bar.
- MCLAREN GOAL – 54’ – The City striker finishes from close range.
- SWIBEL HEADER CLOSE – 60’ – Great play between youngsters Wood and Swibel fashions a chance for Swibel to head just past the angle.
- NINKOVIC GOAL – 71’ – Caceres’ cross finds Ninkovic who makes a classy finish to pull one back.
- WOOD GOAL 90’ – McGowan feeds Ninkovic who squares it to Wood for a tap in.
- PENALTY SHOUT 90’+3’ – Reis’ arm goes in the air while challenging McGowan in the box but the referee decides against a penalty, and the chance to equalise is lost.
Sydney FC have gone down in their first Australian away trip since their 4-1 win over Melbourne Victory this time last year.
Melbourne City began the more confident, scoring two in the first 30 minutes before Barbarouses hit the bar with a ferocious effort just before half time.
City added to their lead just after the break but it was the Sky Blues who finished the stronger following the introduction of Swibel, Ninkovic and Wood; with the latter two finding the target.
A late flurry wasn’t enough however, and the Sky Blues look ahead to a big derby against Macarthur FC on Sunday with a passionate crowd expected at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.
What they said: Alex Wilkinson: “Melbourne City were pressing high and if you get sloppy in possession and give the ball away too easy like we did in the first half, then you get chances created against you.
“They took a couple of them and we slowly came into it but 3-2 probably flattered us a little bit.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN (10. Milos NINKOVIC 58’), 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE (3. Benjamin WARLAND 86’), 9. BOBÔ (33. Patrick WOOD 45’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (27. Jordan SWIBEL 58’), 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN (28. Calem NIEUWENHOF 22’).
Subs: 20. Tomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN.
Yellow Cards: Wilkinson 11’, Retre 29’, Grant 30’, Caceres 36’, McGowan 76’.
Red Cards: None.
Melbourne City FC: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 11.Craig NOONE, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Andrew NABBOUT (23.Marco TILIO 94’), 18.Connor METCALFE (16.Taras GOMULKA 91’), 20.Adrian LUNA (4.Nuno REIS 64’), 22.Curtis GOOD,
Subs: 33.Matthew SUTTON (gk), 14.Naoki TSUBAKI, 17.Stefan COLAKOVSKI, 19.Ben GARUCCIO.
Yellow Cards: Metcalfe 59’.
Red Cards: None.
Venue: AAMI Park.
Referee: Stephen Lucas