Sydney FC 5 (Le Fondre 7’ 42’ 89’, Ninkovic 25’, Buhagiar 86’) def. Brisbane Roar 1 (O’Donovan 90+3’ pen)
Sydney FC have now gone five points clear at the top of the Hyundai A-League ladder with a comprehensive 5-1 win over Brisbane Roar.
Moments That Mattered:
- Le Fondre Goal – 7’ – The Sky Blues open the scoring after a deflected Barbarouses cut-back falls to Le Fondre for an easy tap-in.
- Le Fondre Disallowed Goal – 12’ – After some slick skills by Baumjohann, he threads a ball through to Le Fondre who slots it home but is deemed offside following a VAR check.
- Ninkovic Goal – 25’ – Ninkovic finishes off a brilliant team play as his first time effort lashes into the net off Young.
- Barbarouses Chance – 28’ – A devastating counter-attack started by Baumjohann ended with an effort on the volley from Barbarouses but was saved by Young.
- Le Fondre Goal – 42’ – A miraculous effort from Le Fondre chips the goalkeeper to make it three for the Sky Blues.
- Redmayne Save – 61’ – Redmayne makes no trouble saving Holloway’s backheel from close range.
- Le Fondre Disallowed Goal – 63’ – A dinked ball over the top by Brattan is brought down beautifully by Ninkovic and the maestro squares it back to Le Fondre but is called back for offside.
- Barbarouses Chance- 77’- A weaving run from Caceres sets up the shot for the Kiwi but is saved low by Young.
- Buhagiar Goal- 86’- Buhagiar makes an instant impact off the bench, scoring at the near post with his first touch of the ball.
- Le Fondre Goal – 89’- Le Fondre has his first Sky Blue hat-trick with a diving header at the back post.
- O’Donovan Goal – 90’+1’ – Teague fouls Mauk in the box and a penalty is awarded which O’Donovan despatches top right.
Sydney FC got out to a perfect start when Le Fondre bagged his eighth goal of the campaign from close range. The Englishman almost had another in a matter of minutes, only to be brought back by a tight VAR call.
Ninkovic doubled the Sky Blues lead with a first-time finish after a neat team build-up play and Barbarouses almost got in on the act too; lashing a volley towards the near post that was saved by Young.
Although he didn’t score, Barbarouses nabbed his third assist of the night, teeing up Le Fondre yet again. The 33-year-old showed that he’s still got it with a spectacular chipped effort into the top corner.
The Sky Blues thought they had a fourth but the offside flag came to the visitor’s aid again when Brattan’s ball over the defence found Ninkovic in an offside position.
Buhagiar only needed two-touches in the game to grab his first Hyundai A-League goal for Sydney FC with his finish at the near post having been set up by Baumjohann. The young-gun then turned provider, setting up Le Fondre to complete his hat-trick – his first in Sky Blue.
The visitors scored a late consolation goal from the spot as the Sky Blues push five points clear at the top of the Hyundai A-League Ladder.
What They Said: Steve Corica: “I was very pleased with the performance tonight, the first half set the standard I think. We played some very good football and it was a joy to watch.”
“It was fantastic for Adam [Le Fondre] to get three goals and for Trent Buhagiar too. I am very pleased with him to come on and score and set up one of the goals as well.”
“I think we played better at times, but we’re improving and getting better. The boys are doing a fantastic job and it was important to get the three points and extend our lead.”
“Overall, I’m very pleased.”
Adam Le Fondre: “To score a hat-trick in any night is great and it was one of my favourite performances.”
“It was a really good attacking performance from us.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN, 6. Ryan MCGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. Adam LE FONDRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC (Anthony CACERES 71’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (12. Trent BUHAGIAR 85’), 8. Joel KING, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN (25. Ryan TEAGUE 82’).
Subs Not Used: 20. Thomas HOWARD-BELLE (GK), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN, 18. Luke IVANOVIC, 21. Harry VAN DER SAAG.
Yellow Cards: Adam LE FONDRE 69’, Milos NINKOVIC 71’.
Red Cards: None.
Brisbane Roar FC: 2. Scott NEVILLE, 5. Thomas ALDRED, 6. Macaulay GILLESPHEY (4. Daniel BOWLES 45’), 9. Roy O’DONOVAN, 10. Bradden INMAN (28. Izaack POWELL 45’), 12. Aiden O’NEILL, 13. Stefan MAUK, 21. Jamie YOUNG (GK), 23. Dylan WENZEL-HALLS (20. Aaron HOLLOWAY 59’), 26. James O’SHEA, 29. Jordan COURTNEY-PERKINS.
Subs Not Used: 1. Maxime CROCOMBE (GK), 7. Jai INGHAM, 8. Jacob PEPPER, 20. Aaron HOLLOWAY.
Yellow Cards: Thomas ALDRED 55’, Aiden O’NEILL 57’.
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
Referee: Alireza Faghani