Sydney FC 1 (Caceres 24’) Newcastle Jets 2 (Fitzgerald 58’, K.Petratos 89’)
Sydney FC’s historic fourth Premiers Plate has been put on hold for now following a 2-1 loss to the Newcastle Jets as result as a goal at the death from the visitors.
Moments That Mattered:
1. RETRE CHANCE – 15’ – A brilliant move heavily involving Grant is spurned at the last as Retre’s shot is deflected and collected by the Jets keeper.
2. REDMAYNE SAVE - 23’ - The first shot in anger for Jets as Ugarkovic strikes a half volley from distance only to be well smothered by Redmayne.
3. CACERES GOAL - 24’ - A beautiful reverse one-two between Grant and Baumjohann leads to the German playmaker squaring it back for Caceres to net from six yards out.
4. REDMAYNE SAVE - 33’ - Jets win the ball high up the pitch and look nailed on to equalise but for the sharp reflexes of Redmayne whose outstretched glove deflects the ball away from goal.
5. BAUMJOHANN CLEARANCE - 47’ - A dangerous inswinging corner bobbles around the area before being cleared off the line by Baumjohann.
6. O’DONOVAN SHOT- 52’ - The ball drops to the Jets talisman who lashes at the ball for it to smack off the post and away from goal.
7. FITZGERALD GOAL - 58’ - Millar delivers the ball to the back post for Fitzgerald whose acrobatic effort finds the net.
8. K. PETRATOS GOAL - 89’ - Late drama as substitute Kosta Petratos wins the ball in a dangerous area and finds the back of the net with his strong effort.
Sydney FC needed to deal with a plucky Jets side on the night from the outset, making for a fast paced encounter and even first half.
Chances fell both ways, however it would be the Sky Blues with the breakthrough after Baumjohann’s inch perfect cut back found the feet of Caceres right in front.
The visitors continued to press in search for the equaliser which eventually came in style via a side scissor kick from Fitzgerald.
Both sides would have their chances to seal a winner. With the game winding down, it would appear that a share of the spoils was to be and a Premiers Plate in bound for the Sky Blues.
However, in the dying embers of the match, second half substitute Kosta Petratos found the net with a curling effort, putting the Premiers Plate presentation on ice for now.
Corica’s men will look to clinch the title in a blockbuster encounter against Melbourne City next Saturday at ANZ Stadium unless Wellington Phoenix slip up prior.
What they said: Steve Corica
“First 30 minutes was excellent and we were creating problems for them.
“Second half wasn’t great but the subs made a difference when they came on.
[On Grant’s Injury] “We have a lot of games and didn’t want to take any chances.
“It was disappointing as we wanted to wrap the Premiership up tonight. We have a chance against Melbourne City who are a good side.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN (10. Milos NINKOVIC 60’) , 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 7. Michael ZULLO (16. Joel KING 60’), 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. Adam LeFONDRE, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (12. Trent BUHAGIAR 60’), 17. Anthony CACERES (18. Luke IVANOVIC 79’), 23. Rhyan GRANT (21. Harry Van Der SAAG 31’), 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs: 30. Adam Pavlesic (GK), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Newcastle Jets: 20. Lewis ITALIANO (GK), 6. Stefan UGARKOVIC, 7. Roy O’DONOVAN (9. Abdiel ARROYO 64’), 11. Nick FITZGERALD (19. Kosta PETRATOS 78’), 16. Matthew MILLAR, 18. Johnny KOUTROUMBIS, 21. Bernie IBINI (17. Joe LEDLEY 70’), 29. Timmy O’TOOLE (3. Jason HOFFMAN 78’), 32. Nathan THURGATE (10. Dimitri PETRATOS 64’), 44. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY.
Subs: 40. Noah JAMES (GK), 31. Yerasimakis PETRATOS
Yellow Cards: 4. Nigel BOOGAARD 70’, 17. Joe LEDLEY 78’
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium